• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DSYKES5500

Gearbox end cover

DSYKES5500

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the original finish was on the gearbox end cover?  I've a feeling it was yellow passivate but mine's just rusty brown so no way of telling. As it's pitted, what kind of finish should I expect? Do the finishers fill in and smooth it before dipping? Either way it looks a mess and could do with a bit of protection. 

Oh and is there an inner plastic panel for that side? Mine doesn't have one and I don't think my first GTI had one either, but that was 25 years ago so I'm not too sure...

Ta!

welshpug

not sure on the exact finish, yellow zinc always seems far too bright, even on newer vehicles they looked a satin grey, but not quite a galvanized silver.

I usually just paint them black.

there isn't a cover on a gti, not enough room between tyre and gearbox!  a square shouldered 195 50 will rub the end casing of the box sometimes.

Tom Fenton

You cannot fill it in before plating. The finish is very dependant on how bad it is. I have opted to skim with filler to get rid of the worst of the pitting then spray paint before now.

DSYKES5500

Thanks everyone  :) I did think that the finish would depend on the current condition. Good tip about the filler and paint. A nice satin silver finish might look good, depending on how I get the prep done. If I cock up it'll be a thick coat of black :lol:

farmer

Silver was new as got two

Dullish type

Edited by farmer

Leslie green

Unfortunately the finish you get with plating or powder coating depends on it being good and not pitted to start with  so fill and paint is better in this case but not as good as new lol