• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dimi

Need assistance - Rear right brake does not bleed

Dimi

Hi Guys,

I tried searching and could not find anything. I have the Haynes manual too.

It is a LHD Ph2 1.9 and after changing the rear pads, the left rear blead well, however the right rear cannot. When I slackened the caliper (by unscrewing the bleed screw and then trurned the caliper clockwise), there was a little fluid that came out.

Now, when I want to bleed it... Nothing comes out, no matter how much pedal pumping (pedal is hard). I tried Mytivac by opening the brake fluid tank and trying to vacuum through the bleed screw... Nothing. The screw is not clogged. What else can be clogged?

Please give suggestions!

Also, does the 1993 1.9 with Girling calipers not have front bleed screws? Noone ever mentions this anywhere where I looked :-)

Ozymandis

Maybe a faulty brake pressure regulator or an old flexible pipe that is deteiriorating internally.

Dimi

I found the front caliper's bleed screws. They were so nicely camouflaged as holder for the sensor's cable. And I did not touch that as I thought it is a part of the the holder. Silly me!

Dimi

Thank you, Ozymandis! The flex 17mm brake pipe is not in good shape and I will replace all sides with new ones. Hope this solves it.

Dimi

Here it is, the front caliper bleed screw. Apparently, this is car has the original brake pads and disks and for peeps like me it looked a little too good to be the nipple, as they are usually on their own and the cap is just a cap, not attached to anywhere.... But a photo on the Internet where the cap was not there and the screw, wire and nipple could be seen together, and so- eureka!

I used Damir's DIY one-man bleeding tool to bleed the three sides. Worked great! Thanks again Damir!

Next thung is to wait to get the new brake hoses by DHL... So I xan continue troubleshooting the rear right bleed issue.

I hope it is not a pressure regulator as the other 3 pots bled perfectly.

IMG_20200531_173217.jpg

Tom Fenton

From experience its 99% the compensator (limiter valve) for that corner that is knackered.

Dimi

Thanks Tom, looks like I have to wear rubber gloves to the armpits to take the compensator off...

Is simply cleaning the compensator going to do the trick?

Also for replacing the 17mm hose, I suppose have to take the caliper off so to undo it from both sides. Never done that

DamirGTI

Undo the solid/hard line first off from the rubber/flex hose , then knock off the securing clips and undo the hose from the caliper end .. no need to remove the caliper .

There's two of them rubber flex ones on each side on the rear , to the caliper and next to the beam tube .. so 4 at the back and 2 on the front .

To be honest , i'd change/replace all of them ..

Can't say much about 1.9 compensators , i've lost patience with them long time ago and converted all my 205's to 1.6 system ... you'll struggle to find new 1.9 compensators these days , and i bet the price will be kinda high if you find some .

I'd try first with new rubber/flex hoses , and see what happens ... if still no good , see what's up with the compensator .

D

Dimi

Cheers Damir! Hoses will be in next week and then an update will follow from me.

Dimi

Well, it took this long to receive the rear short hoses by mail. I thought it got lost. Bought Delphi and managed to replace the rear right one. Problem solved. The line bled well.

Apparently, the old hose was the original 27 year old rubber and cracked that it had bent to a point sealing the hose but not snapping yet.

Next is to try loosening the stubborn left brake hose fitting...

Thanks again everyone! Hope you are all doing well!

IMG_20200724_224618.jpg

camgti

Also make sure its level when your bleeding of the compensators can close etc. Ive had the best luck bleeding the car on the ground. 

petert
9 hours ago, camgti said:

Also make sure its level when your bleeding of the compensators can close etc. Ive had the best luck bleeding the car on the ground. 

On my 405, I've had the best luck with the rear wheels on car ramps!