• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ryaner

Re spray

Ryaner

Hi - looking at a full re-spray on my 1990 G reg. and want to put back as original as possible. Black decal on b pillar and door edge - was this factory standard as mine are actually painted? Also - should there be branding in the super arms - what was standard? Factory vaccuum sunroof- need replacement trims if there are any out there? Appreciate any other re-spray advise as I’ll be stripping the car myself before going fir paint.  Thanks 

miamigtimark

You will be lucky to find the sunroof trims without clips missing.

You can find b post vinyl pre cut on eBay 

just anticipate every piece of trim being a pain to remove and you will break loads of trim clips etc.

at least source new side / arch trim fitting kit and maybe bumper mount parts.

stripped mine for respray 2 years ago 

291FFCDB-3E97-454F-B554-2BE30BA725DE.jpeg

D6D25E3F-B51E-4407-86B0-E775ECDC239C.jpeg

miamigtimark

You can see I left the sunroof in but removed the glass.

left rear bumper on and rear screen in but removed rubber surround/ seal 

davemar

If I had the money I would get mine resprayed, but going through a nasty case of gold-diggeritis these days. How would a respray cost these days?

Telf
12 hours ago, davemar said:

How would a respray cost these days?

i totaled all my receipts recently from my respray last year. it cost about £3000

miamigtimark

Actual respray was 1k for mine but I am in the north west (Cumbria) so appreciate its much cheaper than other areas of the uk.

Thing is while it’s totally stripped it makes no sense to put old stuff back that’s in bad condition .

So new clips / indicators/ windscreen (delaminated) / bonnet / seam sealer / 3m tape / driving lamps etc etc

its all the little bits you need that blow the planned budget 

Total on mine so far is about £2700 but 700 of that was welding.

stanz
On 5/25/2020 at 10:42 AM, miamigtimark said:

Actual respray was 1k for mine but I am in the north west (Cumbria) so appreciate its much cheaper than other areas of the uk.

Thing is while it’s totally stripped it makes no sense to put old stuff back that’s in bad condition .

So new clips / indicators/ windscreen (delaminated) / bonnet / seam sealer / 3m tape / driving lamps etc etc

its all the little bits you need that blow the planned budget 

Total on mine so far is about £2700 but 700 of that was welding.

Where did you get your windscreen from?  

Leslie green
On 5/25/2020 at 10:25 AM, Telf said:

i totaled all my receipts recently from my respray last year. it cost about £3000

Given the quality of job you got , plus engine bay boot etc Id say that's a very decent price Paul .I wish I could get mine to the stage to find out the cost lol need to make some progress when lockdown eases.

Edited by Leslie green

Telf
2 minutes ago, Leslie green said:

Given the quality of job you got

hmm... id say its not bad 10/10? no not really after a year id say more like 8.5. still its done now so thats that!

Leslie green
11 minutes ago, Telf said:

hmm... id say its not bad 10/10? no not really after a year id say more like 8.5. still its done now so thats that!

but that last 1.5 costs x 10 for the job  Paul ,Its going to go downhill if you drive it much with stonechips and scratches that's why many never drive a car after a top resto to prtect thier investment which is a shame really ......

I follow stellar paintworks on facebook and they were poking fun at paint jobs that " only cost 3k" just today .Put me off them a tad to be honest they clearly are charging the earth and might only be a 9 !!!!!! Been following a couple of local painters to see what they are like and will price when needed , a relative painted my xr2 and id say it was a quality job  few tiny flaws in hard too see areas but to get everything right everywhere how many times would it need redoing ? Unfortunately he stopped painting on health grounds or the choice would be simple !

One has painted a few classics which is always a good sign ,another is a nightmare to get to do any work but does a great job but will leave it 6 months before starting !

Edited by Leslie green

miamigtimark
2 hours ago, stanz said:

Where did you get your windscreen from?  

Nationwide. Thinks it’s a National company.

wasnt a problem . Has the correct tint aswell.

Telf
3 hours ago, Leslie green said:

but that last 1.5 costs x 10 for the job 

I think that's true. If you look at mine and the work that went into it , it wasn't a quick blow over. Sanded down, welding, rust treatment, hours spent removing dents. All the bloody layers. I think 4 different coats. It's not perfect but it's not bad. Labour wise that was at £18/hour as it was a back burner job for a long time. 

• Like 1