• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Rear beam issue

Telf

In the last 4 months or so I've noticed a wierd thumping noise coming from the rear of the car.

Today it's been into the Workshop and all the suspension torques have been checked. 

During the inspection we noticed a slight noise from the beam in the offside wheel when you shook the wheel . 

So had a look all round and decided to make sure the main torsion beam and plates were ok. Also checked the front and rear anti roll bar. I noticed that the lock nut for the front bar wasnt tight so tightened that as far as I dared. Put everything back together and drove it. The noise has disappeared. 

I'm wondering if this could have caused any serious issue with the beam? I still have a slight vibration under heavy braking (70 mph rapid braking into a roundabout) but apart from that it seems ok.

I can't really understand how this could have happened other than it's just not been tightened enough or the whole powder coating thing has allowed a bit of play where it was initially built ?!

jord294

Adjustment of the double ended stud with that locknut is quite important as sets a comfortable gap from crossmember seal to trailing arm

Telf

I seem to remember when it was built on the bench as you tightened the nut the arm moved. Anyway I tried to screw the stud in but movement. I tightened the locking nut as tight as I thought safe and now the thudding noise has gone. I can only presume there was a tiny bit of play but I can't see how tbh