• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Canadian dave

MI16 values?

Canadian dave

Bit of an odd question, but what are MI16 engines costing in the uk these days?

I have been on the look out for a spare engine or two for my car since it landed here in 2009 and found nothing. Now a guy in Ohio (a short 5000mile round trip road trip) is selling some complete cars and some engines. They sold 405 MI16s over here from 1989 to 1991 in not very big numbers. These engines are not in cars and cannot be seen running. I'm under no illusions they will need pulling apart and checking, if not a full rebuild. I built the engine in my car 14 years and 25k miles ago, so that's fine with me.

I realise that the rarity of the engines over here makes it hard to put a value on them, but also there is no real demand for them over here, so I thought I would ask on here what kind of money they are fetching in the uk?

Edited by Canadian dave

Tom Fenton

Not many for sale, £250 upwards I would say, that’s for unknown/non running. A known runner probably £500 upwards.

Andy

With Tom on the values. Rebuilding can be expensive depending upon what you want to achieve and to what standard. For example, I plan to build up a 2.0 litre mi16 core engine using 85mm liners, forged rods and pistons, a forged(dw10 diesel) crank and solid cams. But I already have all those bits . I still need a full set of gaskets(£150) , cambelt and pump  kit(£120) , bearings (£100) plus engineering work to replace guides, cut valve seats and reface the head surface (maybe£250) . Even with just rings and liners, that would be £300 so budget for about £1000 for a full refresh rebuild re using many o.e bits. 

petert

I concur that alloy Mi16 engines and cars are becoming rare down under too. Are they worth anything? Unfortunately not as much as a 205. I saw a low km 2L for sale at $8K recently. No idea if it sold. There have been a few high km 1.9L running cars sell for $500-$1500 over the past 12 months. I have a stash of Mi16 blocks and heads. To be honest, I'm considering letting them go for peanuts as I consider down sizing. I would charge at least $5K to rebuild an alloy engine to "as new". More than most cars are worth. Perhaps things will change.

welshpug

I haven't seen a roadworthy 405 for sale in a very long time, or for that matter a known good engine.

Have seen parts floating about, heads blocks pistons etc, but still quite sporadic.

Andy

Agreed. My list above comes to about £3k in bits and that is zero labour cost . As you point out, it is easy to very quickly exceed the value of the full car ( funny how I know that is it not ?) which does not matter if it is a car one wants to keep ............Think I will stop here, it is beginning to get painful.

Canadian dave

Thanks for the replies guys. My want is two fold. For one I want as many spare parts as I can for the future, I wud like to stick with peugeot power, but the cost of getting parts from Europe isn't cheap and as has been mentioned they are getting rare in Europe never mind north america. As it stands right now, I suspect it will end up with a honda k20 engine if I have any serious engine troubles (I am very aware a honda engine wud make a huge amount of sense in terms of reliability, parts avaialabilty, etc. But I just dont seem to be able to do to)

Also I have long wanted to build a turbo or supercharged MI16, not because I think it will make huge power, but just because I want to and I already have the ARP bolts. GTI6 dump, wind age tray, extended pick up etc in the bottom end of my current engine. I am also under no illusion on cost, I built my engine in 2006 with as many peugeot parts as I could including liners and once it was all said and done, i was the wrong side of £2k.

Thanks for your replies, i will try to post a link to the Facebook ad if anyone is interested, this guy has alot of cool stuff. It seems he bought up every MI16 he cud lay his hands on with problems and stored them. He has 3 rust free cars with bad engines which have been dry stored for 20 years or sometimes more. It is listed on the peugeot of north america Facebook page if anyone is interested.

petert

I too have been toying with the idea of supercharging my Mi16x4, along with an iron block. However, I feel it's worth more original so will probably keep it that way.

Canadian dave

My 205 is already so bastardized I dont think values matter anymore. Ha ha. It's funny how I built a car when I was 21, is completely different to how I would build one at 36!