• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Berry205

Ignition Sequence Issue

Berry205

Hi, I'm new to this so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I have an H reg Sorento green 1.9l 205 GTI. I have had it for the last 13 years did a lot of work on it at the start, then got stumped with and an electrical issue and lost interest after trying different looms with no success. I've had a bit more time on my hands recently and have started working on it again. I have tidied up a good bit of the wiring but I'm still having the same wiring issue. The problem is when I go to start the car, I turn the key to the first click on the ignition barrel and the ignition light comes on, the second click the starter kicks in and will wind without turning off. This should obviously  happen on the third sprung click of the ignition barrel. I can't understand why the ignition sequence is incorrect and I'm really not sure how to rectify this issue. I have been trolling through posts on here and other forums and although I have heard of others having this problem haven't seen any solutions to the problem. The Haynes manual wiring diagrams seem different from the wiring in my car so I'm struggling to get my head around them too. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alistair

Tom Fenton

At some point the pin outs changed for the ignition switch wiring. The ignition an starter wires crossed over. This is almost certainly your issue and I’d guess you have fitted a loom from the other side of the crossover. It’s easy enough to sort out just identify and swap over two wires in the plug.