• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ian010778

Front hub nuts advice

ian010778

Hello all, I need some help with undoing the front hub nuts please - another one of my many rookie errors!

I took all the front end bits off the car before undoing the hub nuts so I'm trying to undo them in the garage.

The hubs still have the old shock absorbers attached (as well as the driveshafts) and I just can't get enough leverage to crack the hub nuts off. The brake calipers and discs are off so I've tried screwing a couple of bolts into the hub carrier and inserting a bar through them to effectively lock the hub carrier against the floor but when I go for it with the breaker bar I just lift myself off the floor! I can't grip the driveshafts and I didn't want to try this too much as I don't want to damage the shafts.

I know I should have cracked these before taking the hubs off the car - does anyone have any advice on how I might get them undone so I can get the driveshafts out please?

Ian.

20200511_094336.thumb.jpg.04422cf68686025bae9f5288ef184cb5.jpg

DamirGTI

If you have someone near you who has air gun , they can help ..

Otherwise , by yourself and with no air gun , put the disc and calipers back on the hub .. screw in the wheel bolts (two are enough just to hold the disk on the hub) , wedge a screwdriver or metal bar inside the disc cooling fins and against the brake caliper .

This way you'll lock the hub from moving , and will be able to crack loosen the driveshaft nut .

D

ian010778
48 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

If you have someone near you who has air gun , they can help ..

Otherwise , by yourself and with no air gun , put the disc and calipers back on the hub .. screw in the wheel bolts (two are enough just to hold the disk on the hub) , wedge a screwdriver or metal bar inside the disc cooling fins and against the brake caliper .

This way you'll lock the hub from moving , and will be able to crack loosen the driveshaft nut .

D

Cheers Damir - I've sorted it now with a little engine stand improvisation.

20200511_143758.jpg

• Like 1