• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

camgti

93 Sorrento GTi. Been waiting 18yrs!

camgti

Evening all. 

18 years ago I saw my first 205 Gti. I was 16, never seen one before and fell in love at first site. The actual car that started all this was owned by a local Antique dealer in my town. He was an avid car collector and motorsport enthusiast and would travel yearly to the UK, buy up proper old pieces and send them back to OZ to be sold in his store. Often stopping by goodwood or various summer hill climbs on his journey. Sadly he died 18 months (on my birthday weirdly) ago as an elderly Gent and left his collection (246gt dino, 455 77 trans Am, mk4 jag, aston db2/4, healy 100m and the list goes on, xk 120 dhc, xk140 fhc and a little old 205 Gti) to his stepson. Long story short the step son called about 8 weeks ago and said I was the only person he would sell it too on the condition that he gets first dibs if I ever sell it. Which I wont be! 

The car. 93 Sorrento with factory optioned leather, grey carpet and black door cards with the red strip. The OZ cars were all dealer fitted with the rear red garnish panel and this car has a sunroof which I love. Its done 112 000 Kilometres and Im now the 3rd owner. It was always garaged and never went out in the rain (until It was delivered to my place on a truck in the pissing rain haha)  so luckily all the paint is A1 and just needed a good detail. Heres the results. Excuse the hd photos from detailers, Ill get some more regular one once I pick her up today! 

Plans are to remove the silly low suspension (he loved it low) to OE, service and enjoy! 

42FF8A85-DAD5-4C62-BC3A-5A99C55086BE.jpeg

FB01AD0C-9465-411C-B408-5E437D9F8421.jpeg

51A5FA3B-265C-4317-A3F6-EB9DE56B177E.jpeg

F86E032A-A047-4F31-9080-01BEA9EAE025.jpeg

5CBC0F2E-589F-4AB5-B757-3D86159CB3FF.jpeg

B83A5909-594E-4585-BDCA-6A567374FA77.jpeg

A1F22445-0658-415F-B31B-E10AB33348CA.jpeg

D809AFF4-52DB-4149-AF20-1460BDA2205E.jpeg

33902EAC-D8A4-4EF7-995A-82E9E9ABB053.jpeg

53C9622C-B3E1-4D9F-B20F-C9D4EF9E84AD.jpeg

• Like 4

jackherer

Great story!

Is there any paperwork or info about the steering wheel? I think it might have been from the dealer option catalogue.

camgti

The wheel is a MOMO that went with the Gearnob. I like the wheels but not so much the nob. Ive still got the boxes for the wheel so Ill have a look. I believe the car came with a stock wheel (which I bought from him years ago and still have) and he bought the momo nob and wheel through LAD motorsport years and years ago on one of his trips to the UK. It may well be but I have no idea. Definitely not an option here in OZ. The only options we had was the color essentially! They were so expensive here that they had most options fitted. All oz cars came with AC and the later car with ac and power steer and almost all were fitted with the rear red garnish panel. 

• Thanks 1

camgti

Heres the boxes for the wheel, boss and nob 

791176AB-223C-4127-A24D-9C7544CFA0BD.jpeg

C6BD6F85-2723-49BD-A5B2-AC37C51A5BB5.jpeg

D9196A27-57A3-482E-B18C-46F1CED849CB.jpeg

C4CAC07E-BAF1-4C9E-A7B0-AD60CF6A8D1E.jpeg

380D077D-45BA-458A-A9A7-C49105DC8E36.jpeg

camgti

6A5A1428-85ED-4D38-8E8B-4B64AFA65FDF.jpeg

CDF986EF-6B44-489B-80E1-9B67B1B24531.jpeg

camgti

These last 2 are probably the part number for the lion horn badge i assume as the original momo horn button is in the wrapper

camgti

Just pick up the car today and laid eyes on it. Cant say how amazing the colour is so many years later. Ive never seen a sorrento in good Original condition so it was a real surprise to see how cool Sorrento can look. Happy boy. 

Waiting on some nice bits its mail to give it a good service.

JeffR

Great pick up Cam. Won't take too much to make it one of the best in Oz.

bacardincoke

I find it difficult to get my head around some of the MOMO designations but I think the Peugeot dealer offered one was a Monte Carlo, but I've also seen them called V35.

Pics are from some accessory catalogues.

The earlier one is from 1988 and has the 'World Rally Champions' center push, the later one is from 1992 and has the Lion version you seem to have...

momomontecarlo.jpg

momoworldchampions.jpg

• Thanks 1

jackherer

Yeah it was the horn button that made me think it was a dealer one but it clearly isn't!

I've got one of the early wheels with the World Rally Champions horn somewhere and a VAC 473 in a Peugeot Talbot Boutique box but with no horn button sadly.

14 hours ago, camgti said:

The wheel is a MOMO that went with the Gearnob. I like the wheels but not so much the nob.

I'm with you there, I like some of the older Momo wheels but their gearknobs are all terrible!

bacardincoke

There was a 473 on eBay.fr at the start of the year (with a hub for a 504)... Watched it for far too long and now it's gone, but thought it'd look perfect on an early 205.

Got a thing about steering wheels, though coming more from a VW Golf background it's Italvolanti's and the like that I usually go for.

Very envious of the Champion Du Monde horn push, I've a V35 in my '89 car... on my to get list!

Health to enjoy the new car Camgti, looks a beezer.

Did / does it have a sunroof wind deflector... there's a couple of brackets poking up in the first image? I'd toyed with the idea of getting one, but wasn't sure how they fitted on the Peugeot. Those I've seen on other makes just hook under the lip if the sunroof opening, but that doesn't look possible on a 205?

jackherer
52 minutes ago, bacardincoke said:

Got a thing about steering wheels

Same here, I'm not even prepared to admit how many I have... My insurance company agreed to the phrase "aftermarket steering wheel" in my list of mods so I can swap them at will.

camgti
2 hours ago, bacardincoke said:

There was a 473 on eBay.fr at the start of the year (with a hub for a 504)... Watched it for far too long and now it's gone, but thought it'd look perfect on an early 205.

Got a thing about steering wheels, though coming more from a VW Golf background it's Italvolanti's and the like that I usually go for.

Very envious of the Champion Du Monde horn push, I've a V35 in my '89 car... on my to get list!

Health to enjoy the new car Camgti, looks a beezer.

Did / does it have a sunroof wind deflector... there's a couple of brackets poking up in the first image? I'd toyed with the idea of getting one, but wasn't sure how they fitted on the Peugeot. Those I've seen on other makes just hook under the lip if the sunroof opening, but that doesn't look possible on a 205?

Yes it did! I wanted it removed to avoid it damaging the paint where the leading edge nkes a seal on the paint. It has left a small mark if you look closely. The little brackets were made by a guy for the car when Lance found the roof deflector many moons ago. Good spotting! They will be removed soon! 

cybernck

Amazing story and an outstanding car!

I was also thinking how this Sorrento looked different (i.e. better) that the usual ones!