• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

gtiburge

New Xs owner

gtiburge

Hello ! 
I’ve just bought this car xs1.4 my second Xs and 5th 205 
I’ve had a right mare getting it home  badly blown head gasket many water stops then finally gave in and trailered the last 20 mile, hoping the engine is ok ( it’s just the head gasket ) you could not wright the hole journey really!

questions

1 dose any one no history of the car previous owners on here would be nice to find out anything really

there is a post in the TU section regarding the head gasket so any help much appreciated 
Located Holsworthy Devon 
Thanks 
Olly 

FFCA4EDD-6C6C-43C7-82DB-29644BD908D7.jpeg

Telf

provided it didnt overheat you should be ok- look on service box for the head gasket although i seem to think most motor factors can get you the right kit with the Reg plate. just specify a decent brand like Payen etc

jackherer
3 hours ago, Telf said:

look on service box

Not any more sadly, servicebox is chargeable now :(

calvinhorse

Handy tips 

don’t turn the engine over with the head off because those liners lift out very easily 

send a Tap down the head bolt holes in the block and clean them out as best you can

when tightening the head bolts you can do the angle tightening stage in smaller increments you don’t have to give it the cringeworthy 180 degrees in one go 

calvinhorse

It’s also well worth lapping the valves while the head is off and replacing the cam seal, those engines are like Lego, I’ve done 3 or 4 now and I’m definitely no expert mechanic 

pugdamo

As above but another thing is make sure you get all the water out of the head bolt holes in the block, compressed air is the best thing for this but if you don't have access to this then use a bike pump with a long piece of pipe on the end or something. 

gtiburge

Will hopefully get the head off this week sometime and find out more thanks for all the advise :D hopefully no cracked liners ! 

calvinhorse

I bet the liners are fine, the headgaskets are crap on ally Tu engines, tgey always leak oil out of the front corner

ive not tried it yet but a wipe of well seal silicone type sealer is meant to be good on the block mating surface before the head goes on, like I say not tried it myself yet 

DamirGTI

It's crappy HG design , majority of HG brands still have the "Vitone" element pressed inside the HG .. which swells over time , cracks and creates oil leak :

... dunno why , but Peugeot kept this the same HG type for years and continued to do so even on newer PSA models with TU's which , obviously also suffered the same issue .

There's HG from "Erling" for TU's which deleted/ditched this "Vitone" element (doesn't have one) , so i'd suggest using that one .. i did on a few of the last TU's which i worked on , and no more problems from then on .

Can't recall the gasket code , but i think i have one spare in my garage so if anyone want's/needs ,  i can look at the specific part No. .

Anyhow it's nice and easy engine to do HG , so good for beginner/learning .. just follow the manual and you'll be fine :

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/7/7f118b27-a3f1-4ff8-9629-65e8f8fb1488.pdf

D

gtiburge

Thanks for the manual that will be a great help ! I’ve just ordered all I need for the job though AUTODOC went for an Earling main gasket kit but a Payen 1.25mm head gasket so hope that’s all right ,debating weather it’s worth giving giving the head a big skim to up the CR while I’m there? but not sure on how much ?and if it’s been skimmed before, Then there is the problem of will it pink afterwards  ? thanks 

Olly 

gtiburge

Hi thanks for the reply on on my head gasket problem , I have just had the head skimmed they took 24 tho off so quite a bit and it’s probably been skimmed before I will measure the head tomorrow and find out but looks like I’m going to need a thicker gasket than the one I ordered 1.25mm , you said the Elring one stops the oil leak problem have you got the part number for that? think there gaskets come in 1.47mm wich is what I probably need 

thanks 

Olly