• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

outforadrive

What is a 1.6 GTi really like?

outforadrive

Hi there,

I have quite a big question that I would appreciate any info, experience and advice on.

I own a 205 1.4 GR and I love it, it's great fun to drive, pretty fast but not too fast, fantastic ride, suspension and just all round fun. Now I've always been interested in potentially upgrading to a 1.6 GTi however I've heard and read that, yes they are incredibly fun to drive, but are also outrageously/dangerously fast. I know it's probably a stupid question to be asking but I'd essentially like to know how fast they really are and what are they like in comparison to a 1.4 GR? Are they the kind of car that you can't simply drive at your own pace in? As that's how I feel the 1.4 is like, it can be fast if you want it to be but it's also just a great car to plod around in and enjoy the other elements of the car, the suspension, the visibility, the handling...etc I've heard the 1.6 is a car you can't really drive 'slowly', it's always on the edge(and putting you on the edge of your seat!) and wanting to go faster, and there's a very fine line with the throttle between plodding along and turning into a rocket? 

What is it like in comparison to the 1.4 GR, is it very similar and just a bit nippier and more special? Or is it like going from a go kart to a racing car? 

What are the upgrades between the two? 

I hope you can see what I'm getting at, any help and thoughts on this would be great. 

Thanks very much

welshpug

they're not fast, in their day they may have been up there for the money and type of car, but not these days, and only dangerous if you a total idiot behind the wheel :lol:   much like any car really, including your 75bhp GR!  your GR really is not fast, at all.

the balance of the car is a little different due to having more weight up front but being stiffer sprung that weight doesnt make itself known that easily.

they can be driven gently quite easily, though the wear and tear in the engine mounts and poorly set up relatively simple engine management system can give whats commonly refered to as 'kangarooing' on light throttle, a good driver can work around that and its not hard to rectify.

Edited by welshpug

acox99

As welshpug says, they aren’t fast. But they are a sweet handling car, and you can drive it hard without being silly and have a lot of fun. The engine is rev happy and does egg you on to put your foot down to keep it spinning towards the top end of the rev counter. They are a cracking little car and just as much fun if not more on local roads than a 1.9 due to the gearbox being shorter closer ratios. 

DamirGTI

Had privilege to do an 1.3 Rallye (proper Euro version) full engine/gearbox/steering rebuild with some mods too , and thus i spent few months with it .

Not as fast as 1.6 nor 1.9 , but certainly feels faster in real , much lighter on the front and coupled with short PAS rack it was fun time ! B)

Seemed like perfect weekend car .

D

outforadrive

Thanks for the responses, it doesn't sound as bad as thought in terms of the kind of car it is and kind of driver it can turn you into. 

However, it's just how big of a jump and difference is it from my 1.4 GR? 

Damir, that's exactly how I feel about my 1.4, it's got the balance of everything, whereas I feel the 1.6 might be too imbalanced towards speed, high revs, foot on the throttle...etc 

Tom Fenton

What a load of tosh. Have you ever actually driven a car, as this sounds like something a 13 year old would write.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

outforadrive

I've been driving my GR for 8 years. 

All I'm asking is what's the jump like from the GR to the 1.6 GTi. 

pugdamo

It won't be anything to worry about, it can go as fast or as slow as you want, ultimately you are the one in control and it all depends on throttle input. So if you want one buy one and you will love it. The Kangarooing Welshpug describes is the only thing that may take you a bit of getting used to but with practice you will get it in no time,it only happens at low speed and light throttle, like when your going through town and there's people everywhere to watch you drive like a moron lol. But again as Welshpug says it can all be easily improved. 

Edited by pugdamo

Telf

its just a slightly quicker version of a 1.4. its not some kind of massive leap. is this a serious post because i have to agree with Tom on this. 

totally slow compared to any modern car, my s*itty 1.8TDCI mondeo is probably quicker once its off the line !!

• Like 1

dobboy

One thing i would say about a 1.6GTI is that it feels fast on a B road if there is no other cars around...... and you'll get a buzz and that's what matters most.

But the truth is, if you're young, you could probably run faster in a straight line than it.

SootySport

It’s a light car much like your GR.  you’ll notice a bit more ‘Fizz’ about it and GTIs will handle and grip the road better.  No where near as powerful as modern Hot hatches but you can get a move on using the gearbox and a heavy right foot, just great fun.  If you find a pre cat engined 1.6 of 1989/90 vintage, they have 115bhp which is only 5 or 10 less than a 1.9 engine GTI with a cat or a Phase 1 1.9.    
it’s all about having fun:D

Duroc
On 7/3/2020 at 4:29 PM, SootySport said:

It’s a light car much like your GR.  you’ll notice a bit more ‘Fizz’ about it and GTIs will handle and grip the road better.  No where near as powerful as modern Hot hatches but you can get a move on using the gearbox and a heavy right foot, just great fun.  If you find a pre cat engined 1.6 of 1989/90 vintage, they have 115bhp which is only 5 or 10 less than a 1.9 engine GTI with a cat or a Phase 1 1.9.    
it’s all about having fun:D

I didn't think there were any 1.6 Gtis with cats

SootySport
On 7/5/2020 at 1:22 AM, Duroc said:

I didn't think there were any 1.6 Gtis with cats

Just checked and you’re right.  Makes finding a 1.6 easy then.