• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
The Gentleman

205 Gti Rear beam fuel tank clamp bracket

The Gentleman

I had a rear beam built for me by the nice chaps at Pug1Off and no longer have the old one. After much pain and suffering cleaning the underside of the car and re-painting its underside and engine bay I am slowly (due to family life) rebuilding my car. On putting the fuel tank back in my car I have problem in that the clamp which goes around the beam and secures the fuel tank strap appears larger than the beam (see photos)... Does anyone know if the rear beam tube came in different sizes??  

Any advice much appreciated. 

IMG_4633.jpeg

IMG_4632.jpeg

jackherer

GTI beam tubes are larger diameter so thats probably a base model tube.

• Like 1

The Gentleman

Thanks for the reply - Do you know what size the GTI tubes are?

Most upsetting part is that the clamp looks rather lovely freshly powered coated too!

jord294

If that's a new tube, then possibly a chinese copy, which come base model diameter.

A genuine gti tube diameter is 21cm iirc

The Gentleman
18 hours ago, jord294 said:

If that's a new tube, then possibly a chinese copy, which come base model diameter.

A genuine gti tube diameter is 21cm iirc

I was under the impression that it was original part refurbished. The external diameter of the tube (beam) at the fattest central part is 6.1cm. Are you referring to the torsion bars fitted either side of the tube? 

jord294

I have no picture, but base model tube is 19cm and proper gti 21cm

jord294

Measure circumference at centre of tube

Ozymandis

In a deviation from this, can anyone tell me why all 2 door 205`s i have seen have this, and why all the 4 doors dont, im sure i once knew but im old and forget stuff now?

welshpug

the exhaust heat shield is mounted to it, I doubt any 4 door will have an engine making enough heat to need one.

• Like 1

Ozymandis

That bracket around the tube is on all 2 door diesels with a base diameter tube and they also have a heat shield,  4 door diesels all have a heat shield and none have the bracket around the tube.  A 4 door heat shield and its mountings fit straight on a 2 door. The brackets not needed to fit a heatshield, im wondering what else the brackets for?

OP the same brackets available in a smaller diameter for base model diameter axles.

Edited by Ozymandis

The Gentleman

I think from what I have read the purpose of the bracket is as an anchor for the drivers seat belts points which the front end the the fuel tank bracket (this forms the back end) tie too.  

Its good to know I can get one for the smaller tube if this is what this, although thinking I might get a mate to cut and weld this bracket, then paint it myself..

dobboy

I always thought that bracket was there to make sure the beam couldn't completely fall off.

Telf

Having recently rebuilt my car  I pondered the whole assemblies purpose. I thought it was there to help support the fuel tank.

Ozymandis
2 hours ago, dobboy said:

I always thought that bracket was there to make sure the beam couldn't completely fall off.

Thats the only use I can see for it, the tank, the heatshield , the seat belt and so on dont need it.

Maybe its to make sure the heatshield and tank rip off if the axle does, so You die in a ball of fire rather than sue PSA?

Tom Fenton

It’s been discussed a few times before and is still a mystery. If it was to support the tank or stop the beam coming off, strengthen the seat belt mounts, why does a 3 door car need it but the 5 door car does not?

Telf

i think its got to be an addition to support the tank in a crash, just to hold it in position. it looks like its strapping it in. Why isn't it in a 5 door- no idea! designed by the French so god only knows. 

On the beam diameter - does it make any real difference if its a GTI or standard to your average driver? 

The Gentleman

Just as an update to this. It is the smaller tube, I have solved this (assistance from Pug1Off) by fitted rubber around the tube as a sleeve to go inside the bracket. I used a really thick inner tube for my dirt bike, which is really tuff and dense. Bugger to fit, but please with the end result as all will work as it should.  

SootySport
5 hours ago, The Gentleman said:

Just as an update to this. It is the smaller tube, I have solved this (assistance from Pug1Off) by fitted rubber around the tube as a sleeve to go inside the bracket. I used a really thick inner tube for my dirt bike, which is really tuff and dense. Bugger to fit, but please with the end result as all will work as it should.  

Funnily enough I had a smaller tube as well and wrapped the tube with a rubber liner.   Had my torsion bars and ARB uprated to GTI spec during the beam rebuild.

I’m also curious if there is supposed to be a rubber bush where the tank strap wraps round the loop on the tube clamp, looks like to two metal parts could rattle on each other.

Edited by SootySport

The Gentleman
19 hours ago, SootySport said:

Funnily enough I had a smaller tube as well and wrapped the tube with a rubber liner.   Had my torsion bars and ARB uprated to GTI spec during the beam rebuild.

I’m also curious if there is supposed to be a rubber bush where the tank strap wraps round the loop on the tube clamp, looks like to two metal parts could rattle on each other.

Not sure, mine was a late model (91) car and was actually in a petty good state and very original and the was no sign off anything on it. But agree to the parts are metal to metal and not completely firm.