• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Interior Light...

bacardincoke

Was cleaning the interior light panel and sorting out a loose fitting.

As it turned out it was an easy fix, but In case I had needed a new one I'd already been looking on eBay for a replacement.

Long story, short one seller mentioned that the original Porsche Boxster used the same one as the 205 which got me looking a bit deeper and sure enough turned up a few Porsche panels for sale with what appears to include a Peugeot part.

Maybe old news to longer term owners than me but might help other newer ones.

As an aside I noticed some later model Boxsters have the same panels but a different light... I've no way of checking but perhaps someone might be able to fit this to their 205, potentially looks like a straight swap?

Not sure if there's even any advantage to doing it but it's possible the later Porsche one does something the original Peugeot item doesn't, there's an additional button with a white dot... e.g. gradually fades to off, brighter or whatever?

Boxster with Pug light...

boxster2.thumb.jpg.a50afd3d5c2125beb1567d089b7bb1f0.jpg

boxster1.thumb.jpg.b6a1c7b608dde4dcf4e6a9ba85f08d4b.jpg

Later Boxster with different light..

.boxster3.jpg.ec521aed1ec12ee2367b5c2b60a50188.jpg

boxster4.jpg.4175bc01f647efa05c2f279dab5f40ac.jpg

jackherer

I found the part number for the later light - http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos-usa/986/entire-production-periods/electrical-equipment/lighting/interior-light-for-porsche-986-2001-98663205300.html

It's triple the price for some reason.

BTW it's a similar situation with Lotus and the dashboard switches - https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/bodywork-br-styling/s1-hazard-lights-switch-a111m6016f/

Edit: it's triple the price because it's a twin LED light according to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/781445-are-the-overhead-interior-led-s-replaceable.html

Edited by jackherer

bacardincoke

Found a further reference to the later Porsche light having a programmable time delay feature, though no way of confirming that.

Also found talk of the 205 interior mirror being used on some TVR's, but again no way of checking.

The Lotus switches is an eye opener, at those asking prices it mustn't be common knowledge they're available elsewhere.

duurtlang

I bought the later light for my 205. And it fits, with minor modifications. It's much sturdier than the original part; no more brittle plastic clips.

3 modifications needed;

1. You need to remove the tiny plastic corner that makes sure you can mount the 205 light in only one way. It's in the way for the Porsche unit.

2. The Porsche unit has a plastic bracket that is too long for mounting in the 205. Sand it down until it is only roughly 2 mm long, and it fits.

3. Wiring. You can get these Porsche parts with 2 different connectors. A black one and a white one. I chose the white one as it only has 3 cables, like the 205. The connector is much smaller than the original one, but with some creativity you can connect the 205 cables.

It has a switch with the 3 settings the original 205 light has as well. There is a tiny LED that is always on when the doors open, regardless of the setting of the switch.

The normal light uses the same bulb as the original 205 part.

I couldn't add more than 2 pics.

IMG_20210617_195150.jpg

IMG_20210617_195322.jpg

Edited by duurtlang
  • Like 1

duurtlang

To add some extra info:

You have these lights with black plugs (5 pin) and white plugs (3 pin). I went for a white pin one, as the original 205 dome light also has 3 cables.

IMG-20210614-204426.jpg

The plastic hook thing on the side needs to be sanded down, otherwise it will not fit. You do need to leave a few mm, as it is fundamental for mounting. In this picture it has already been sanded, with two white little ~2mm pins remaining. 

IMG-20210615-173809.jpg

Inside the 205 roof mounting bracket thing I needed to sand down the piece of plastic that makes sure you can mount your 205 light in only one way. For the Porsche part it is in the way regardless of how you orientate the light, so it had to go. 

IMG-20210615-173745.jpg

I used some male-female DIY electronics cables, as they fit in the Porsche connector perfectly and tightly. Added some tape so there is no pressure on the connector. Used a screw terminal with plugs so I could plug it in and unplug it easily. IMG-20210617-190732.jpg

And that's all there is to it. I bought the Porsche unit used on eBay.

The dual LED units that Porsche mentions are not in this part, but are the reading lights that look like the alien eyes you can see on the very first pictures in these thread. The part I installed in my 205 uses the same halogen bulb as the original 205 part.

IMG-20210617-195314.jpg

Edited by duurtlang