• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Richie-Van-GTi

Better ratios 3rd onwards

Richie-Van-GTi

I'm running a xsara vts be3r box on an xu10j4rs engine in my race car. I find in particular 4th and 5th are a bit long. The gearbox is due a set of bearings, is there a better gear set I can fit in the process and what are they from? Currently on standard CWP with Quaife ATB. I do t want to sacrifice 1st and 2nd if possible as they are great as they are, even 3rd I could live with, it's mainly 4th is the issue

SRDT

i think your ratios are close if not the same as a Mi16 gearbox, the 205/309 GTI ratios are shorter on 3/4/5 so it should be perfect unless you feel it's a bit short.

If you have one of the last BE3 your secondary shaft may be a BE4 one, if so you need BE4 gears from a 206 GTI.

Tom Fenton

I think the easiest way could be the gti6 6 speed box. 6 gears instead of 5 for I think the same overall gearing. Certainly when I’ve driven a gti6 they are easy to keep on the boil. If it’s a race car then the steering lock restriction should not bother you.

petert

Fit 3-4 and 5th from a GTi6 box. Problem solved. If not, then 3-4 and 5th from a 205 GTi.

Richie-Van-GTi

Will these fit in the be3r as I believe they are be4 internals in a be3 casing/ bell housing. 

Also would it be from a 1.6 or 1.9 box?

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

welshpug

it seems the 6 speed can be be3r or be4,the 205 gti ratios are mostly the same on a be1/3 spline pattern.

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton
9 hours ago, Richie-Van-GTi said:

Will these fit in the be3r as I believe they are be4 internals in a be3 casing/ bell housing. 

Also would it be from a 1.6 or 1.9 box?

I think the 205 GTI 3-4-5 ratios are the same 1.6-1.9. Its 1st that is different, unsure on 2nd.

welshpug

be1/3 3-4 gear will only fit be3r after being modified  be4 is a different spline count.

Richie-Van-GTi
3 hours ago, welshpug said:

be1/3 3-4 gear will only fit be3r after being modified  be4 is a different spline count.

That is what I suspected.

I do have a be3 box from a 2.0 306xsi which I could rebuild and believe is the same ratios as the be3r with the Quaife but are they weaker?

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

welshpug

be3r is a type of box/internals, not a designation for a set of ratios.

Richie-Van-GTi

Yes I know that, I mean I believe the 306xsi be3 box I have is the same ratios as the xsara vts be3r box I have, I just wonder if the be4 internals of a be3r are stronger and I should justify the effort of finding better 3rd,4th,5th from a be4 or if building the be3 with easier to find gearsets is OK.

SRDT

BE3R internals are strong enough for a XU10J4RS but if you can find a cheap 206 GTI BE4 then why not.

Edited by SRDT