• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Slam Panel Colour...

bacardincoke

I'm pretty sure my 1989 1.9's slam panel is original to the car and hasn't been redone previously.

It's a bit tired looking and would benefit from a tidy up so I found this paint which to my eye seems an almost exact match.

If you're wanting to do your own panel 'Ford Dove Grey' might be a starting point when looking for the correct shade.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Leslie green

Cheers Martin , I have often wondered what paint to use the one came with my car is black , my car( 1991 Gti) came as a project and it wasn't fitted so for a while I thought when they went to black expansion bottles maybe the slam panel went black too .

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Came up OK I thought... even faked the yellow zinc finish on the striker plate (the bolts are new / real).

slam2.jpg

slam4.jpg

slam1.jpg

Tom Fenton

It looks a bit too grey tbh, but unless parked bang next to another one, no one will know. Looks a tidy job. Now put clear protection tape on the sloped bit that the bonnet secondary spring latch rubs on so it doesn’t take the paint off.

Leslie green

Looks a nice job but hard to say what colour match is till its in daylight on the car . 

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

This is mine. It went to my body shop man who mixed paint up to a near chip colour then tinted it to get it close to the underside where it had faded less. It looks more cream/yellow than yours. But as I said unless parked next to another one no one would tell.

C6EF50EA-F4F5-4EA8-B30C-E4BDE0E44AFC.jpeg

• Like 3

Telf

Heres mine, matches to the paint on the underside as close as possible. 

Not sure Peugeot cared about the colour, seen afew different shades knocking about

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1572189356847.jpeg

• Like 2

bacardincoke

With a 30 year old car I suppose there's always the chance the panel was replaced or redone sometime in the past, a repair done 25 years ago is going to age and look like it's always been there / original.

The swatch on the aerosol lid was virtually identical to my panels shade and now that it's on it's still that way, but It's difficult getting an image with the colour showing as it does in real life.

Here's another, now looks a lot more like the beige shade of Toms.

Put the repo. stickers on as shown in the sellers guide lines, likely not 100% but I'm not aiming for concours (nor anywhere near it, the cars going to be used) so happy enough.

Good idea with the tape... I'd to file the oblong hole back to square, years of wear had left two deep cut outs on its leading edge.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by bacardincoke
  • Like 3

DSYKES5500

Martin, this looks superb!  Did you need to lacquer over the top of the Dove Grey?  Also, how did you fake the yellow zinc finish on it?  Just gold spray with no lacquer?

Mine still has all the original stickers so I was reluctant to tidy mine up but the repos look spot on.  I think on very early phase 1 cars the round Shell/Esso sticker was put on the oil filler but later moved to the slam panel (could be wrong though).

I've some old brochures somewhere, I'll try and find an engine bay shot for you.

• Thanks 1

DSYKES5500

Seems like Peugeot don't like showing the engine bay in brochures!  This is the only shot I could find from MOTOR magazine from 1984 showing an A reg 1.6 bay........  No help at all, sorry :D

205 Engine Bay.jpg

bacardincoke

The fake zinc was done on a whim, I'd a few cans of aerosol in the garage and was winging it as I went along.

I've since tried to replicate the finish and basically you spray the cleaned up item in grey primer then give it a light coat of silver. Over that is a very, very light dusting of red, mainly on any raised areas. If you look at properly yellow zinc parts they have a pink sheen in certain lights. A last coat of gold and a rub with wire wool to expose the underlying silver/red in places, finally clear lacquer it for protection.

These are the other bits I did, they'll not kid anyone up close, but look fine for my purposes.

1.thumb.jpg.08c675bce0da9db3ad71f35aa2f58759.jpg

There's no lacquer on the slam panel, just the standard paint finish. Seems durable enough and the stickers are a good quality so hopefully will stay resistant to wear.

The sticker seller was based in Serbia though I've seen others (from Italy and Spain, I think) do very similar items, maybe some of the ones in the set at based on European models... only guessing.

He included a template to show where the various ones went, so I'm relying on him being correct. There were 2 x oil stickers included, he shows one as fitted to the panel and the other the filler cap.

I've been keeping an eye on images of 1.9 engine bays as I find them, but no two seem to be the same.

Here's his template -

stickersB.thumb.jpg.7af8378738757161da03d2d533de89e2.jpg

• Thanks 1

DSYKES5500

Ahh yes, I got my Clarion window stickers and parcel shelf sticker from him.  VERY good quality.