Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wallby

Electrical Issues

Wallby

Hi all,

I’ve got something strange going on with the electrics on my 205 track car where the stop and warning lights are very dim when I turn the ignition on.

A bit of history, I’ve had this mi16 converted 205 for around 18 months and the past 6 it has been off the road having some new exhaust valves and head gasket. I finally got it running again a few weeks ago, took it out for a test drive and broke down after 5 minutes. After getting recovered home and having a quick look in the bay, I noticed that there was a loose connection in a join on the coil earth wire. Run new positive and earth coil wires all the way back to the fuse board and omex ecu and it started fine again. Took it out again, broke down again (luckily I went uphill from my house and was able to coast back home!). A quick look again and found a loose connection to the fuel pump switch. Blamed this, fixed it, and decided to go through the rest of the loom behind the dash to have a look at what else had been bodged.

It was at this point I remembered that I hadn’t seen the low oil pressure warning or stop light come on with the ignition – probably not since its been back together. This car has a large oil pressure warning light in the middle of the dash, and on removal of the dash surround, can see that it has been connected to the feed for the stop light, so I would not have seen the stop light since I’ve owned the car. I joined the stop light wire back in (a red wire, can’t remember the no.) and had a dim stop/warning lights come up – disconnecting that wire again did not make any difference to the other lights.

I was playing around with connectors by the fuse box, disconnecting  then re-connecting, checking voltage and continuity when I noticed that the lights were now on much brighter. Started the car and it ran fine, seemed to start a lot easier too. Leave it a week, put the dash back together and put the alternator back on as I was getting that checked over, and the lights are really dim again!

I’m after a bit of advice on what to check and where to start really. I’m thinking of going through the connectors again and seeing if I can pin point when the change from dim to bright happens. So far I have disconnected the engine bay loom – no difference, and checked the voltage at the coil, 12V showing on the positive, and approx. 4V showing on the earth! That can’t be good! The coil earth runs straight from the coil to the ecu.

Wallby

Small update on this, the ecu and main earth's are not earthing properly when the ignition is on.

Also, wire 32a only has 4v and comes from the ignition barrel area, so think this needs looking at. 

pug_ham

Does the oil pressure gauge work as it should?

I think something as simple as mixing the stop light & oil pressure sender wires so they are on the wrong senders causes these symptoms.

It's a simple case of swapping them over but easily done with them hidden where they are.

g

Wallby

Managed to sort this last wekend. Turns out it was the fairly new adjustable oil pressure warning switch that was faulty!

Hopefully thats all the wiring issues sorted now so I can get on with driving the thing!