• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

New fuel pipes perished/cracking

Telf

I bought a complete set of new fuel pipes when I rebuilt the car. I am right in thinking they shouldn't be cracking like pictured?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1577017869636.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1577017830132.jpeg

Tom Fenton

Welcome to modern petrol hose. No it shouldn’t look like that.  But good luck finding anything that doesn’t turn to s*it within 12/18 months.

Telf

Well it's from a supposed decent supplier/partner on this site. I've contacted them and I'm waiting a response

Telf

Is it safe to run ? That's what I'm wondering - last thing I need is a fire!

DamirGTI

Ditto , same here ..

Dunno what kind or rubber compound majority of companies use these days ?! some kind of recycled stuff i guess ...

But for sure it's crap compared to what it used to be .. oddly coolant hoses seems reasonably durable , but petrol hoses are really bad no matter which brand you pick ... can say the same for the aftermarket CV boots and brake caliper cylinder and slider dust boots , just one year of use and they start to deteriorate/crack ...

I'd replace those with the OE petrol hoses , even old/second hand used will do .. as they're plastic/PVC on the inside thus really durable , i still have old ones on my 205's and no issues with them cracking/falling apart .

D

farmer

If that Stewart's hose he has had issues as he called me about it to check my car as I was one if the first to try them.

My hoses have been sound so far so maybe a poorer batch 

Telf

It is mate. He's sending me a new set and has asked for these returned to examine them.

MrStock

I have no problems with the one from BM Baker

boldy205

I've had his fuel pipes for about 4 years now, no probs as of yet

Leslie green

Poor life for that hose and not uncommon now , Not sure why companies can't make hose that lasts with ethanol in fuel , it's been around quite a while now .

petert
8 hours ago, Leslie green said:

Poor life for that hose and not uncommon now , Not sure why companies can't make hose that lasts with ethanol in fuel , it's been around quite a while now .

As I said Gates Barricade (which is ethanol/methanol compatible) lasts really well compared to other hose. Cheap hose doesn't last more than 18 months, even on straight petrol.

• Like 1

Telf

Finally replaced the hoses,see pics below.

I cut one to see how far gone they might be. 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1580568510232.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1580568543361.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1580568565345.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1580568723383.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1580568657249.jpeg

davev

I bought some standard motor factors hose once and within 2 years it was leaking. 

Tom Fenton

I wonder if it’s fake hose, e.g. not what it is supposed to be? 

This isn’t a dig at BBM, everything I’ve had from them has been great, but obviously they have to buy this fuel hose in from somewhere, I wonder if they’ve been supplied some duff hose.

jackherer

That's exactly what I said on the phone to Paul, otherwise it would be happening to more people, it has to be a bad/fake reel of hose.

jackherer

I just did a google image search for multi fuel gates auto master (the text on Paul's hose in the photo above) and the first few results all show hose with the text written in a totally different font. I can only see stuff with the heavier typeface that Paul's old hose has on Amazon...

1878307541_Screenshot2020-02-01at21_10_49.png.0bc161a48fded9314da5492adfccc9d6.png1991152190_Screenshot2020-02-01at21_10_20.png.b1e306209ab6eccffb060af86a774f89.png2041962621_Screenshot2020-02-01at21_10_04.png.ab72ca3500c72abb42dbbf176b589904.png

Telf

well im going to return the hoses to Baker in the next few days so they can have a look at them. Beats me what went wrong- i guess as said they must be fake or a bad batch.

petert

I stripped and rebuilt my 205 over the Christmas break. My Gates Barricade hoses are now over 2 years old and as fresh as the day I installed them.

• Like 1

Telf

My whole experience with the build and aftermarket scene has been very mixed. Baker have been great in terms of customer service, I've had a couple of bits replaced by them with no hassle at all.

I've had reproduction mud flaps that are already looking tatty in less than a year, torsion bar bungs that break as you fit them, seals that don't fit ( from the Peugeot museum no less!)

All very stressful and disappointing

2-Pugs

I found quite an interesting article about fuel pipe recently, and this exact problem, which makes for an interesting read.

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

It bares out what has already been discussed above - only go for a branded, reputable make, be aware of relabelled inferior pipe, and check the pipe carefully on an ongoing basis.

A friend of mine (also on here) fitted new fuel pipe to his A-series mini which after 12-18 months had started to crack.  That stuff was from Halfords, and luckily he spotted it almost by chance when under the bonnet one day.

Also worth carrying a fire extinguisher in the car, just in case.

bacardincoke

How are your replacement Baker lines holding up?

I ask because I've recently got a set... as there was a bit of a delay in getting them, I'm assuming (hoping!) that means they are a later batch than your faulty ones.

Mine are clearly marked Gates Barricade, so again I'm assuming they've since sourced different hose.

In one of your original images there's a second hose, (arrowed), again I appear to have since bought the same stuff, (from Carbuilder Solutions)... Is that still OK?

barricade.jpg

Gates MultiFuel.jpg

Gates MF1.jpg

Telf

hi, the new ones are ok at the moment. The low pressure pipe was supplied by Baker but didnt need replacement.

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

That's spot on, thanks... It's sods law you read these things after you buy something, but good news this time.