• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ScoobyJawa

Headlights

ScoobyJawa

Hi all

I need a new set of headlights, both have bad reflectors. Since it’s not possible to get Valeo ones unless they are hydraulic levelling where mine are mechanical, the other options seem to be Prasco, TYC, Abakus or Diederichs. Does anyone have experience of them, all roughly the same price......?

welshpug
3 hours ago, ScoobyJawa said:

Since it’s not possible to get Valeo ones unless they are hydraulic levelling where mine are mechanical

never heard that before, the headlamps are all the same fitment, the only variance is LHD or RHD and the various brands used, and the very early non H4 bulb type.

6204 F0 and 6205 F0 are the Valeo RHD part numbers, the height levelling is done in the outer bracket, on the manual variant there is a lever to do the quick adjust for load compensation.

ScoobyJawa

I was unsure what the difference was but it still seemed possible to get the Valeo albeit 4x more expensive than the others! While the others say they are for mechanical levelling the Valeo say they are for hydraulic!

The Valeo, and the others, all say they are for RHD and match the oem part numbers of : 6204-A4, 6204-34, 6204-Q4

But those part numbers aren’t quite the same as you posted?

welshpug

first link states its for lhd..

jackherer

The Valeo lamp with levelling says "for right-hand traffic" which means driving on the right side of the road with the driver sat on the left, i.e. left hand drive.

I haven't seen TYC's 205 headlights but I have seen their headlights and tail lights for several other cars and they are very low quality.

DamirGTI

Few months ago i just bought an pair of TYC headlights (and an pair of clear TYC indicators too ..) , to be honest they're pretty good .. the shape is literary direct copy of the OE Valeo unit , looks good , fits well , lights/illuminates good at night - no complains really .

But there's two types of them from TYC , the older ones based on Ph1 Marchal , and latter based on Ph1.5/2 Valeo . The Valeo type ones seems better from TYC .

D

ScoobyJawa
5 hours ago, jackherer said:

The Valeo lamp with levelling says "for right-hand traffic" which means driving on the right side of the road with the driver sat on the left, i.e. left hand drive.

I haven't seen TYC's 205 headlights but I have seen their headlights and tail lights for several other cars and they are very low quality.

Very good point I’d thought the other way round for some silly reason, thanks!

another chap has mentioned TYC were fine (albeit was for a Civic), but would be nice to have some other inputs on what to go for first....

Edited by ScoobyJawa

ScoobyJawa

Funny you should post that, I sent them some photos about an hour ago!

• Haha 1

acox99

I’ve used them for reflector refinishing with very good results 

• Like 1

ScoobyJawa

Cool, good to know. Sent them pics, just waiting a call to discuss

Edited by ScoobyJawa

ScoobyJawa

Anyone know how to get the adjusters off without breaking them?

welshpug

remove the fasteners.

ScoobyJawa
On 1/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, welshpug said:

remove the fasteners.

Ok, how do I do that, is there a specific tool to use?

thanks

ScoobyJawa

Really struggling to get the damn things off lol!  Anyone got any tips?

Tom Fenton

What part are you struggling with, as your post is very vague.

ScoobyJawa

Hi Tom

i need to get the plastic headlight adjustment piece off, as shown in the pic. Not sure the best way to do it without breaking it (which I’ve done once already!)

thanks

Neil

4AC6C06D-A99D-4CC0-AEE8-811487F12356.jpeg

Tom Fenton

You are trying to remove it from the headlamp itself or from the attachment point on the car?

ScoobyJawa

From the headlamp/reflector itself. Light is off the car and separated into its component pieces just need the reflector rechromed and dual metalising want it removed prior to sending to them......

welshpug

I saw you have had them back, do you know if the company you used can do the later plastic ones?

Edited by welshpug

ScoobyJawa

I don’t think they can as they made me remove all the plastic and only send the actual metal reflector itself. Ideally would have been good to get the plastic part the lense mounts on done too, but I had to sort them myself.

Edited by ScoobyJawa

acox99

From looking at there web site it seems like they should do plastic ones.