• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy

Hydraulic lifters

Andy

In an idle moment, I have been refurbishing some sets of lifters that I have acquired ( Thanks Rich) . Anyway, one set Is GTi6, two sets are mi16 (XU9/10j4 ) and one set looks to be aftermarket . Am I right in thinking that the aftermarket set are the work of Satan and should be locked in a container and heated to at least 1200centrigrade ? 

petert

Correct. You'll be in a world of hurt if you use those aftermarket lifters. Did you notice that the GTi6 lifters are 1mm longer?

Andy

I hadn’t until three minutes ago when I read this and went and measured, Yep. About a mm  longer . I assume that it makes no material difference. That is , the GTi6 lifters could be used in an XU9/10j4 head acting on the 7mm valve stems  and vice versa ?

petert

Great for reground cams!

Andy

Yep. And I now have at least three serviceable sets plus the aftermarket ones which I have just binned ( literally ) . While you are ‘on’ Peter , I have an xu10j4R head that is on the bench in bits . Cam carriers are neat . Question. Exhaust stud spacing, on the Xu10j4 ( which I have on my 2.3 engine) the stud spacing seems to be identical to the j4r head, except for the lower stud on no4 cylinder which is offset from the rest . I say  seems as is is difficult to measure accurately on the head that is in situ. The manifold I have is made with a flange that  suits both the XU9 and Xu10 j4 heads, so I wondered how close it would be to the j4R head or is that a non starter  and I would need a gti6 manifold ( yep, got your wedge plate for the RS head )

petert

Whilst the stud spacing is near identical, the port width and height is not. I have made wedges to transition from the two Mi16 ports into the single R/RS port, but it's a nightmare. Just buy a GTi6 manifold. I had mine ceramic coated, which lowers the heat enormously.

Andy

Yep. Mine is ceramic coated too, hence the desire to use it . However, I can lay my hands on a gti6 manifold for not much money, so will get it whilst it is available 

cheers, 

Andy