• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stewartmichael

Timing belt one tooth out, best way to resolve

stewartmichael

Hello, 

Currently in the process of a belt change on a 1.9 8v. Spring loaded tensioner type.  Lined up the markings on belt or at least thought I had and when I rotated the engine it appears I am out a tooth. Cam now relocked in place with m10 bolt so camshaft is where it was. 

I haven't rotated the engine without the belt on so I should be only out a tooth. What's the best way to go about this from here? 

IMG_20191216_172545.jpg

welshpug

take the belt off, pop the crank pulley on and turn it till the pin goes in, refit the belt.

stewartmichael

Cheers Mei, probably a stupid question but turning the crank forwards in isolation won't damage anything?

Thijs_Rallye
10 hours ago, stewartmichael said:

Cheers Mei, probably a stupid question but turning the crank forwards in isolation won't damage anything? 

Pistons are halfway of the stroke when locked in position, so you don't have to worry about hitting valves.

welshpug

if it's just one tooth out then no it wont hurt anything, obviously dont go giving it a full turn!!

Edited by welshpug

stewartmichael

Thanks guys back up and running ,2 of the 11mm bolts that hold the timing belt cover have sheared yesterday on removal as seen in picture. They both snapped right against the block so vice grips will be no good, is trying to drill them a good idea? 

petert

Try drilling a hole then bashing in a torx bit. I don't like your chances though, if you've managed to shear an M7 bolt. It might be easier to remove the timing case and fit another.

wicked

Works best if you use the multi teeth torx bit (iso the 6 teeth torx).