• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Romb

Gearbox drain / fill torque specs (BE3)

Romb

Hello, one more post in a row, three time's a charm :-)

For drain and fill plugs Haynes states :

"

Manual transmission drain/filler plugs
BE1 and BE3 transmissions:                                                               
Main gearbox drain plug . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10     7
Final drive drain plug . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30     22

"

The main drain plug must be the one at the backside below. 

Does that make the 'Final drive drain plug' the one on the side via which you fill it up until it overflows ?

Confusing as that one seems to be a filler, but it's called 'Final drive drain plug'. Or does this refer to a drain for the BE1 box ? In that case they only specify drain plugs while the section refers to "drain/filler plugs".

Weird that one must be 3 times tighter than the other, they don't differ that much, M14x1.0 side, 16x1,5 below. Maybe the one below has continually oil on top of it requiring a tighter fit to keep it coming loose or dripping, but that's me guessing

Darn Haynes authors

Edited by Romb

welshpug

very early BE1 boxes have a fill plug on the front o the casing, all drain plugs are on the diff casing.

I use the breather hole to fill the box up with 2L, level/fill plug is on the end of the box where 5th gear end casing is.

Romb
7 hours ago, welshpug said:

very early BE1 boxes have a fill plug on the front o the casing, all drain plugs are on the diff casing.

I use the breather hole to fill the box up with 2L, level/fill plug is on the end of the box where 5th gear end casing is.

Thanks. Where is that breather hole on a BE3 ? I will just fill via the side hole with a tube but while messing there want to make sure that the breather still looks a bit sound.

And on torque, 'firm' just does it ?

Haynes says 10 and 30 but not quite sure, seems weird to do that final drive one at 30 (the one on the side ?) and the diff (the one at back below ?) at 10.

welshpug

the breather is a black plastic hex head plug in the top of the gearbox with a small white plastic piece in it.

I tighten the plugs till the crush washer is squashed then a little bit more.

Romb
10 minutes ago, welshpug said:

I tighten the plugs till the crush washer is squashed then a little bit more.

Thanks, I will !