• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bacardincoke

Dash Light Bulbs...

bacardincoke

Have the instrument binnacle out at the moment and thought it'd be an ideal opportunity to change all the bulbs whether they need it or not as they're probably the 30 year old originals judging by the dust!

There's also a few empty slots (high-lighted in red / top edge of instruments are uppermost in image ) and it got me wondering if I'm missing any that should be there, as the binnacle appears to have been off before.

I'd image some, if not all are for warning lights that aren't applicable to a 1989 1.9 GTI, but you never know.

Also, the cap less wedge bulbs seem to come in different wattage's... I don't want to put in ones that may become too hot, anyone know the correct spec. for 205's?

Cheers.

gauges.jpg

gauges1.jpg

gauges2.jpg

Edited by bacardincoke

DamirGTI

Correct , few of the missing ones are for non GTi models (or for late GTi's with Motronic management) .. rallye , diesel etc. .. for glow plugs , choke , engine management light ("K" symbol) , catalyst overheating ...

Can't remember by looking on yours which one you possibly have missing to connect/illuminate .. but looks like they're all in place for Jetronic 205 ... if in doubt or just curious to see what the "empty" ones do on the clusters - take an pocket flashlight , and shine some light thought the each empty hole at the back of the cluster (dim or turn off the lights in the room you're working so you can see better)

The bulbs are 1.2W , pretty common cheap and easy to find :

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/r509t-dashboard-bulbs-12v-1.2w-black.html

D

bacardincoke

That's spot on thanks... Did the torch trick and sure enough they're mostly emblems for kit I don't have with the possible exception of the one I've marked below.

Seems to be for the yellow warning light when the oil temp. is too high?

The ones with the bulb holders present... if you undo them there's a track left where the contact points have been rotated and press into the foil of the printed circuit, not this one though so perhaps I'm wrong?

gauges4.jpg

gauges5.jpg

Ryan

The oil temperature gauge does have a warning light, but the engine doesn't have a switch/sensor to turn it on, so the bulb isn't normally fitted.

bacardincoke

Thanks, that's good news and everything seems to be as it should. I was worried it was taken out to hide a problem!