• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davemar

Bits of plastic on steering rack UJ

davemar

I removed my steering rack (205 GTi 1.9 non-PAS) a while back to do some restoration stuff. There is some bit of broken rubber/plastic cover that look like they either cover the UJ and/or the top of the connection between the rack and the column. I haven't got a photo to hand, so I hope the description is clear. It's been tatty and pretty much useless for years, so I'm wondering if it is a proper part, or I can just remove it and live with it? I assume when it was new it is intended to stop muck getting in. I've googled for images of the rack and haven't seen anything that shows it.

DamirGTI

Yes , originally there was an rubber boot on the UJ for preventing the dust and moisture getting inside the UJ joint ... lots of 205's run without them , though applying some oil or grease (i use "foam" expand lube for marine engines) to the UJ joint from time to time makes good practice for it's longevity and ease of movement .

It's part No. 6 on the diagram :

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/4/41C01A.HTM

D

Edited by DamirGTI

farmer

Originally also Peugeot fitted a blue saucer cap 

davemar
On 11/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, DamirGTI said:

Yes , originally there was an rubber boot on the UJ for preventing the dust and moisture getting inside the UJ joint ... lots of 205's run without them , though applying some oil or grease (i use "foam" expand lube for marine engines) to the UJ joint from time to time makes good practice for it's longevity and ease of movement .

It's part No. 6 on the diagram :

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/4/41C01A.HTM

D

That's the thing. I've got about 5% of it left I reckon! I'll probably just have to live without it, as I've done for 15+ years or so.