• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

JR20516V

Handbrake light permanently on???

JR20516V

The "Brake" light on the dash i cannot get to go off.....done a search here and Google and tried all things that i had found to no avail.  Only is on when engine is going [with either handbrake off or pulled on ]

I have:   removed the handbrake console on my 205 GTi

Made sure the brake fluid reservoir was full.

Took off both blade wires on the reservoir and seen if that would work

Removed the handbrake switch,  wriggled the wire to see if any reaction....no !

Placed a thin wire in the switch blade connection and the other end to the body

Disconnected the wire from the switch

I have run out of ideas.....any tips  appreciated.    Am i missing something ?

boldy205

I k ow you said u made sure the brake resiviour was full, but could it be a faulty cap?

JR20516V

Mmmmmm...........dont know about that one. I have never heard of a cap being kaput.     I will swap one over and see how i go.    Thx for the tip.    

wicked

If you disconnect the wires from the cap, it is an open and you already ruled out the cap. 

Do you have wear indicators on the front brake pads? 

jackherer

The wear indicators trigger a different (orange) light don't they?

I think there must be some trapped or damaged wiring somewhere, either shorting together or shorting to ground.

I'd say the wire going to the handbrake is probably the most likely to be damaged where it goes under the seat then through the handbrake bracket through a hole with no grommet to protect it.

JR20516V

As Jack said.....yes, the wear indicators have a different light [yellow or orange ]....... also i cant see any rubbing on the wire from the switch through the floor ??? This has me stumped !!

jackherer

If it's not either of the switches (reservoir cap or hand brake) and it's not any of the wiring I guess it must be a fault in the instrument cluster itself or possibly the fuse box?

I didn't notice that you said it was only on when the engine running earlier, that is pretty odd.

JR20516V

That is what is so confusing.....only on when the engine is running.    I love 205 's  !!!    LOL