• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Woodenman

Headlamp/wiring woes

Woodenman

Hi new to the forum so first of many questions i expect.

Picked up a 1.4 GTX 205 1992 for a £10, it came with an MOT which is due for renewal this month and a few problems :). I have been using it as my daily drive to work and it makes it there and back mostly ;)

Now i have had to pop in a refurbished alternator and new starter motor,  2 new front tyres and some new brake lines so far (it also came free with some free spots and various belts and bits).

Where I am struggling is with the damn headlamps.  When i got it the front spots (bumper lights) were corroded (not working) and full beam didn't appear to work either (I assumed that maybe this was causing the high beam issue).

Now i have replaced the spotlights and they work along with high beam but only when either the lights are off or sidelights only e.g. i can flash them and i can hear the relay clicking.

When i switch to main beam they wont work or flash???? no relay click. Another weird fault is that no dash light bulb for main beam icons light? and recently the sidelight one has gone too? all other dash lights kinda work. I do have an intermittent temp gauge and when that isn't working my friendly orange engine woe light isn't working as well. BTW this car like to flash its engine woe light allot but it misses a fair bit at about 2.5k rpm. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks Si

jackherer

I think it is probably either the stalk itself or the ground/earth points on the back of the front panel either side of the radiator that is stopping your main beam from working.

The dash bulbs for the lights are often blown, it's just a matter of taking the binnacle cover off and then the cluster itself, once it's off the car the bulbs are just a twist fit.

The intermittent temp gauge is usually down to a corroded brown multiplug in the engine bay above the gearbox. If you find the small wire on either the starter motor or alternator then follow it back you'll get to the multiplug in question.

That's assuming it is the same as a GTI in those areas, I think it is but someone who has a 1.4 might be able to correct me.

I have no ideas about the engine management light on one of these but normally on a car of that age you can jumper two pins on a plug somewhere and make it flash the error code via the light on the dash.

• Like 1