• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Archie's mid life crisis

Oil pump spacer plate missing

Archie's mid life crisis

Quick question: were all xu5ja engines fitted with a spacer plate between the oil pump and block?

Stripped my engine and there is no spacer. 

Cheers

Thijs_Rallye

Only the 1.9's (D6B and DKZ) if I am not mistaken.

Archie's mid life crisis

It is the shim/spacer under the oil pump that is missing. Haynes manual shows a spacer.

Sump bolts were all Allen bolts and all the same length so someone has definitely had the bottom end apart before and i'm thinking the shim has been lost

petert

Try and slip a 0.7mm in there then. I'm unconvinced because the Mi16 has a spacer because of it's 22T sprocket and different chain length.

Edited by petert

Archie's mid life crisis

Admittedly, the Haynes manual stripdown is for a Xu5j and not the later xu5ja. I've not taken a xu5ja apart before so can't comment on whether I've seen the shim plate on other ones. Definitely seen it on the early 1.6 motors though

petert

see attached

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 7.08.11 pm.png

Archie's mid life crisis

Peter,

That is very helpful. Thanks. 

So it looks like the spacer is 0.7mm thick. I've had another check and the bushing is missing from my oil pump too. I note on the diagram that there is an amendment for up to 04/87 to replace the shim with washers. 1987 is around the time of the XU5JA being introduced. Perhaps this points to the shim and bush not being fitted to the later XU5JA.

welshpug

I've never seen a Bush in any xu ive taken apart so far, the early ones are pretty rare in the uk

Archie's mid life crisis

Welshpug

I'd be interested to know if you've seen the spacer shim on any XU5JA motors?

Cheers

pug_ham

I've stripped a few XU5JA's and can't remember any having a shim between the pump & block, iirc it states in the supplement at the back of the Haynes that the pump height was increased to make the shim unnecessary on the later engines.

g

Archie's mid life crisis

Hi G

Yes, you are correct. I have just checked an older version of the Haynes manual and there is a paragraph in the revisions supplement about the oil pump spacer being deleted in 1987. The later, less helpful, version of the Haynes manual simply states that the oil pump may or may not have a spacer.

Thanks for your help.