• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil205

Drivers side door lock jammed

Phil205

I can't open the driver side door lock using the key from the outside.

Pulling the door knob from the inside doesn't work either.

The AA tried a slim Jim but had no success.

Any suggestions ?

jackherer

You need to take the door card off, it's tricky with the door shut but it can be done. IIRC it's the screws on the door pocket that are hardest to reach. Or it might be the speaker cover screws, I think you need to use a screwdriver bit and pliers or something to undo them.

You'll probably find it just needs the mechanism freeing off and maybe a bit of grease once you get access to it, I've had a few 205 doors bind up like that in the past and once I got access to them there wasn't anything actually broken.

Phil205

If the lock needs replacing, can a Peugeot garage fit a new barrel to batch the existing key ?

jackherer

No but somebody on here called Leet can.

It probably wont be the barrel that is faulty though.

SRDT

Back in the day a good Peugeot garage could not only order a matching lock but also make one on the spot:

welshpug

usually the pivot on the back of the door handle is stiff not allowing it to spring back down, copious amounts of wd40 or similar and lots of wiggling needed, minimal dismantling though.

Phil205
On 9/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, welshpug said:

usually the pivot on the back of the door handle is stiff not allowing it to spring back down, copious amounts of wd40 or similar and lots of wiggling needed, minimal dismantling though.

Thankyou. Which door handle ? Inside or outside ?

I managed to eventually get the door open from the inside, by playing with the door knob and the inside door handle.

I then took off the door card and sprayed every part of the lock I can see with WD40.

I will do the same with the door handles.

If it gets stuck again, can I 'pop' the lock open, from inside the car, by using my finger on the part of the lock that the door knob is connected to ? I am dubious about locking the car and then finding I can't open the driver's side door, even from the inside of the car.

Ozymandis

Its the external door handle pivots, they rust and when the handle returns to the normal posistion the actuating arm pivot will be stiff and the arm wont return, hence the lock system wont work.

Its nothing to do with the lock or its linkages, remove the front door handle and work some proper lubrication into its pivots. WD etc is a waste of time as it evaporates, oil`s whats needed.

Theres two points that rust and sieze ones a simple piece of 3mm rod that the handle actually pivots on and the others a riveted pivot point for the actuator arm this is the one that will be causing this.

Its very hard to lube with the glass still fitted , but if you take off the external rubber/felt scraper then sometimes squirting oil in with an oil can gets some on this particular point, but not on the  3mm rod part.

Be warned taking the seal/scraper off, the securing clips often disintegrate into so much flaky rust.

Ozymandis

If it jams , a good hard thump on the external handle often gets it to move enough for the key to unlock it, percussion, jars it enough for the actuator arm to overcome the rusty pivot and the handles spring to push it back.

Basically whats happening is the handles being held up as though you had hold of it, even though its in its normal rest posistion.