• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug205GRDT

Pug 205 GRDT Central lock - 4-pin grey actuator works once when I plug it in but not again

Pug205GRDT

Hello. Just started a new thread. I have an old 205 GRDT 1993 which has just passed its MOT for another year (needs some paint work at some point). Its central locking failed around 2016 so I thought I'd open the drivers side door to find I have the phase 1/1.5? grey 4-pin actuator (same as the GTI I believe?). The 5 pin ones off E-bay will not work even though the middle pin isn't used.

I changed most of the pink/green relays a few years ago when everything just died on the dash and it bought everything back and the old fuses look OK in the fuse box - none of the 25A ones have blown as the fuse-wire line is at the top of the fuse which doesn't look broken. I think the central locking fuse is held in the fuse box in the glove box? I don't know if I need to replace the black;blue or green relay in the fuse box too? The central locking has been temperamental for years though; usually working after a long drive but the car has had a new battery as the old water-plate one was taken out in 2016 too.

I found the correct actuator off E-bay but that one made a loud wearing noise and opened/closed all doors once and not again. I swapped my old one back which seemed to work once but didn't make any loud noises so both probably on the way out....does anyone know how to make one from 2 or even open it up for starters? Someone in a thread managed to do it?

Any ideas? Besides the central locking; the car does need cleaning/de-rusting which will be the next little job as it's starting to look a bit tatty now.

Thanks.

Pug205GRDT

Hi everyone. One last try. I've tried 3 different grey actuators in my Pug 205 GRDT front drivers side door - all seem to fire up the central locking
when I connect it but nothing after that no matter if I put the locks up/down manually and disconnect the battery. I don't hear the central
locking fire up when re-connecting the battery like I used to do years ago.

What am I missing?

Someone has suggested a control box is under the steering column, a later one is black the earlier ones are grey/beige (the rectangular black boxes
are on E-bay).

Lindsey Porter Colour Manual - Section 13-20 has this:

There are 2 types of control unit for the central locking system: Earlier cars have a dedicated control unit situated at the base of the B-
post - (where's this??). This can be accessed for replacement by disconnecting the battery, removing the right hand front seat, the B-post
trim panel and the lower seat belt mounting. Lift the carpet to expose the control unit.

The more recent control unit for the central locking system is part of the built-in Systems interface (BSI), situated under the fascia (where's
this??). This device controls a range of electrical equipment and is NOT user serviceable beyond replacing any of the six surface mounted fuses if
they fail.

Question: Any fuses/relays in odd-places besides the dashboard that need changing? If anyone could provide pictures for the above that would be great. I can't see anything
under the steering wheel but I may need to get the garage to open it up. Or something might have been left out when my steering bar needed to be replaced.

Thanks

Harry

Anthony

Only the later RCL equipped cars have a control box under the dash - the earlier system with the grey 4 pin locking unit in the drivers door does not (or certainly doesn't in 3dr versions)

The description of the later system in the Lindsey manual doesn't sound right either - the black control unit of the later system (located just to the left of the steering column near the heater matrix pipes) only controls the central locking and doesn't have any fuses that I'm aware of.  It's not a BSI unit in the usual modern sense.  The only central locking fuse is the one on the main fuseboard above the glovebox.