• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

All Praise The GTI

PugSport / maniflow / miles Mi16v manifold fitting issues

All Praise The GTI

So my mi came with what I believe is a miles 4 branch mi manifold. Didn't pay attention when removed it but on refitting was a right PITA!! 

Had to split the two sections of the manifold, remove one of my new head studs then lever one side over to refit said stud then get it all back together.

My issue is the join where it goes two to one is literally touching the heat shield under the car and I can't budge it. 

The engines on new BBM fast road mounts, standard lower fork. (Updated bush)

I levered the gearbox mount over as much as could but Stil it's practically touching underneath. 

Even on my short test drive when changing gear I could hear the exhaust sleeve joint touch underneath slightly :(

anyone had issues like this before as seems strange. It's definitely well over and doesn't like like it fitts well.  But can see anyway of fixing it as it's a fixed manifold!? :(

Andy

I have one of these. When I came to fit mine, I had to fit it in two pieces. Try as I might, it still fouled on the heat shield . In the end I did some mild cutting and re welding of the manifold  and also extended the lower mounting fork by about 5mm . Together, that fixed the problem. Oh, heat shield. In the end I removed that,  cut back the ‘lip’ on the tunnel and put in place some flexible heat shield material I had left over from some other project . It glues to the tunnel and is only a couple of mm thick . Since then , I have  had my manifold Zirotec coated so less fussed about heat shielding, as when it goes back this time, the Mi16 head will be on top of an iron block, so bound to cause me yet more grief. 

All Praise The GTI

Mine is perfect on the lip in the bay it's where it goes 2 to 1. It's touching the body on the clamps. Really don't want tilt it or have remove it again as it's engine out or subframe off job!  Only option I can see is to cut the two pipes with a slitting disc, bend down and reweld :( shoudnt be such an issue on an expensive manifold

jackherer

They fit some shells OK, the variation between them is crazy. I've taken entire front assemblies (engine, gearbox, subframe, suspension etc.) out of a shell they fitted perfectly and put them in another and the manifold was touching the new bodyshell.

It's normally a problem where Andy describes though, not where you're having trouble.

What type of clamps are you using? I've seen some excessively thick ones used on Mi16 manifolds before, if you have that type you might get more clearance if you use a Mikalor style clamp.

ssb_7.jpg

All Praise The GTI

I think I actually read your old post when I searched. It's the same clamps that were on it. I guess original ones. Kinda thick but not excessive.

A jubilee or mikalor t bolt style but be slightly thinner but we're talking about gaining maybe 1mm at most so won't help much. Now it's been driven IL take a look and see how it's all settled and see if I can lever it over any more

Andy

Yep.Cut the two pipes with a disc, bend down and re weld . I had to do that to get the two Into one pipe junction exiting at the right angle ( ie horizontal ) . Frustrating at the time as my exhaust was brand new . But I accept that shells vary so much and the tolerance on ‘our ‘ type of manifold fairly small that this kind of snag is just about inevitable 

All Praise The GTI

Yeah I do understand just wasn't sure if I'd made a mistake fitting it but it can be done one way really.  Done about 25 miles in here today and got home jacked it up to check everything's ok and all was well and where I'd jiggled the exhaust before as it was close looked like was a reasonable gap now to be ok... But then I noticed that one pipe is now basically touching the bulkhead lip.. no wonder if seemed so loud in the cabin on the way home is thought I'd just got used to Audi's and my golfs insulation lol. Bloody typical. Might have to mess around with the mounts again to try gain a few mm clearance