• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jupiterroom

Shunt box wiring

jupiterroom

Two posts in quick succession ()https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forums/topic/173400-cooling-fan-wiring) but felt worth starting a new topic.

Does anyone have an idea of the wiring out of the shunt box? I'm tidying up the previous owners handy work and it's unclear what should be connected to the shunt box.  I've looking int he Haynes manual, but don't see any reference to the shunt box on there.

I have the positive feed that comes straight in from the battery, and then four connectors coming out.  Could someone confirm which connectors should be connected?

Rich.

DrSarty

Haynes wiring diagram shows it. I'll photo it & post it later & list what's connected.

But ultimately - and you probably know this - it's all LIVE/POSITIVE. And if I'm not mistaken, it's mainly a feed for the fan(s), and maybe headlights too.

Check Haynes of you have it, but I'll post again shortly.

Certainly with all my builds, I get rid of it. Most cars have a bus bar in the engine bay fuse and relay box to distribute power, which is all the shunt box does. No bay box in the 205 dictated the need for the silly thing!

welshpug

it indeed provides a fused connection to the rest of the car, one is a fan feed, one is injection system the last is for the main fusebox, i.e rest of the car.

DrSarty

Hi Mei. Sometimes not always fused though in the shunt box; sometimes it's just a solid metal connector which is shaped like a fuse.

jupiterroom

Hi both - yes I have Haynes open and looking at wiring diagram 1b etc.  Probably user error and missing something obvious here.  It's not marked as the "Positive supply control unit" is it?

DrSarty

I have to confess I can't see it (in the attached), same diagram, and that item isn't listed, at least alphabetically.

Where do you see it on diagram 1b?

Either way though, as Mei says it distributes power to only a few items. Can be done via other means.

If you want to keep it or put one in for originality, then use his list; but if everything already has power then you don't need it.

Chapter_12_Body_electrical_system.zip

Edited by DrSarty

DrSarty

Having stared at diagrams long enough, I'd say it's not shown. I think it's assumed it's inserted along the route of some of the positive feed wires.

For example on diagram 1, on the LHS is a typical cooling fan switch, resistor and fan layout (which relates to your other topic).

Item 7 is the battery, and it shows the positive wires going straight to the CF switch, the starter > alternator circuit and direct to the 'Fuse/Relay Board' (over on the RHS); it misses out Mr Shunt from what I can see.

So this is time for what's needed combined with common sense. Personally I'd either not put one in or ditch the one that's there in favour of a neater power distribution solution, fused or not, to any systems that need power that haven't got it already.