• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hungry_hung

New Ignition lock barrel and switch

hungry_hung

Hey guys,

My first post here so I'll try and give a back story. 

I'm from New Zealand and saw a 205gti (rough project condition) for sale on Trademe (our version of Ebay) for roughly £ 1300 converted.

From the photos and reading on here, I knew what there would be heaps of body work and interior trim/dash work.

Got towed to the mechanics last week to have a look and received some news today.

The bad:

-Doesn't start, the previous owner pulled out the barrel switch ignition and put it in a new knock-off one. The mechanic reckons I should buy a new Valeo one and that would work.

Atm the wipers,indicators and lights work but the engine won't turn. The previous owner claimed it ran great until he put it in storage...

-Needs new engine mounts

-Needs new front brake disc

-Could't tell me any further without the engine starting.

Anyone here have any experience with these aftermarket ignition switches work with their 205 gti?

The one the previous owner had installed and left in the vehicle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PEUGEOT-205-309-Ignition-Switch-Lock-Barrel-Keys-NEW/252344691807?fits=Model%3A205&hash=item3ac0ea6c5f:g:i2gAAOSwxXRbWI2a

The one the mechanic recommended to buy.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/valeo-1073026.html

This one I found from Neatcars that looks alot closer the original and cheaper...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-83-98-309-86-93-IGNITION-LOCK-BARREL-SWITCH-KEYS-416229-/372316310349?hash=item56afc80b4d

Any advice would be great, Thanks in advance.

Photos of the poor thing

1009376225.jpg

1009384163.jpg

1009381613.jpg

Edited by hungry_hung
Typo

Anthony

Without knowing which tests the mechanic has done it's hard to know whether the new ignition switch is at fault, but problems both with the original style starters and with the starter solenoid wiring are both common for causing the starter not to engage (and then of course there's aftermarket immobiliser installations too, but I'm assuming that's not the case here).

The solenoid wiring degrades and suffers corrosion, particularly around the brown multiplug that'll be a short distance from the starter above the gearbox.  Putting +12v directly to the starter solenoid terminal will make the starter motor turn over if the starter is good, battery charged and engine free to turn - assuming it does, check the voltage drop on the wiring and keep going backwards until you find the issue.

The ignition switch is easily enough bypassed if you want to rule that out - I'm not going to explain how for obvious reasons, but it'll be pretty obvious what does what with a multimeter.