• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dwainb1986

Best cam for 1.6

dwainb1986

Hi . I'm after a lovely lumpy sounding cam ? Any idea on the best 1 for my 1.6 gti..  or has any1 got 1 for sale ? Thankyou also a good set of twin carbs if there's a set going for sale .

Anthony

"Best" for what - road, track - and what if any supporting modifications are you planning on doing besides a cam swap and possibly carbs?

I'm not convinced that you'll see much performance benefit from an uprated cam alone on an otherwise standard engine still retaining standard Jetronic injection, although it'll certainly sounds lumpier.

Also, given that it's a 1.6 it would be worth checking the lobes on the existing cam if the current engine feels lackluster - for some reason, they are prone to wearing badly whereas the 1.9 doesn't seem to.

dwainb1986

Hi ideally a road ? After more power with a nice old school sound . Any advice

petert

I'd use something like Catcams 4900365 or 4900366 if you have TB's. Most importantly however, skim at least 1mm off the head to increase CR and set cam timing correctly with an adjustable pulley.

Edited by petert