• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

Ew head oil feed?!

allanallen

Afternoon all! 

I’ve acquired a 206 180 with a noisy head this afternoon, I’ve bought it under the impression that the engine is scrap to be honest but  I’ve just had 5 minutes stripping the covers off to investigate. 

On removing the exhaust cam cover its very dry, not a lot of oil about at all. I then had a prod at the lifters, all bone dry, can easily push them in with your finger, that’s obviously the noise then! 

Is there anything I need to be aware of with the oil supply to the head on the ew?

Seems bizarre to me that it’s so dry, there’s enough oil pressure to knock the light off, the inlet cam is wet and the lifters are full. 

Any pointers appreciated 

dcc

I think it all goes through the vvt solenoid, so if that's blocked it could cause an issue. I've not really had much of a play with the ew yet, but a friend's turbo car had an issue with oil and it was solenoid related (he ditched vvt, we t solid lifters and ran solid pulleys and cams to suit)

allanallen

Cheers Dan, I shall investigate that. To be honest I disregarded the solenoid as I thought (apparently wrongly) it was just there to operate the VVT. 

Apparently it just started tapping one day rather than getting progressively worse over time.

cheers  

DamirGTI

Could be plugged oil passage with an blob of RTV ?

D

• Like 1

speaksgeek

It's possible to put the head gasket on backwards, which blocks a key oil feed up to the head, but it's unlikely that would cause the issue of one bank being wet while the other is dry.

Clogged VVT pulley maybe? I'm not really sure about the direction of flow through the head, except apparently it comes up from below the VVT solenoid and into the pulley. Not sure if that's before or after it's been through the rest of the head.

• Like 1

allanallen

I’ve pulled the vvt Solenoid out and all appears fine, clean and seems to operate when I put power to it.

Looking down the hole that it sits in I don’t think that all the oil to the head passes via the solenoid, possibly barking up the wrong tree.

I picked up an oil pressure gauge last night so next job will be to check oil pressure, Im not convinced it will be an oil pump issue though.