• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Adam

205 rwd conversion

Adam

Just wanted to find out has anyone ever done a 205 rwd conversion using an mx5 chassis and a 205 shell if so any tips or tricks?

welshpug

just admit it, you want an MX5 :ph34r:

its ok, we wont judge..

• Like 1

jackherer
3 hours ago, welshpug said:

its ok, we wont judge..

Of course not, they're brilliant.

I didn't think they had much of a chassis though?

calvinhorse

Check out Urchfab on YouTube 

wicked

Maybe you can only use the drivetrain of an MX5?

When I saw this picture of the MX5 drivetrain, I had the same idea (but forced myself to forget).

IMAG0627.jpg

Adam

Well my plan was to cut the main body off the mx5 and leave the floor pan so none of the mounting points move and then cut the floor out of a 205 and put it down on top (I have an mx5 not ashamed of her either )

SRDT

What are you doing about the wheelbase ?

Adam

the wheel bases are very similar I believe (yet to actually check but looked online and it said they were)

camgti

Adam. There have been quiet a few starters and very few finishers with projects like these. The Mx5 is a great car, just like a 205 gti is a great car. Both do things differently albiet well and a combo of the 2 would be somewhat fun. 

But. Ive been on here close to 15 years (almost half my life!) and have seen many attempt the challenge but not finish. Due to all sorts, funds, kids, growing up, loss of interest, starting budget blows out by 10 fold etc etc. 

If you are genuinely thinking about it I would maybe try and find a project someone has started or even take a look at a few that have been done and try to buy or take over what has been started. Theres cosworth conversions, evo 4wd versions you name it have been done it a 205 shell by you mad poms. Its going to cost and arm and both legs and dare I say just thrown the money at either car in its own rite! (Too boring for u maybe). 

Anyway, its possible, just not easy or cheap. 

My 2 cents anyway!

Cam 

SRDT

What about a MG TF rear subframe? That way you don't have to mess with the front of the car.

Adam
5 hours ago, camgti said:

Adam. There have been quiet a few starters and very few finishers with projects like these. The Mx5 is a great car, just like a 205 gti is a great car. Both do things differently albiet well and a combo of the 2 would be somewhat fun. 

But. Ive been on here close to 15 years (almost half my life!) and have seen many attempt the challenge but not finish. Due to all sorts, funds, kids, growing up, loss of interest, starting budget blows out by 10 fold etc etc. 

If you are genuinely thinking about it I would maybe try and find a project someone has started or even take a look at a few that have been done and try to buy or take over what has been started. Theres cosworth conversions, evo 4wd versions you name it have been done it a 205 shell by you mad poms. Its going to cost and arm and both legs and dare I say just thrown the money at either car in its own rite! (Too boring for u maybe). 

Anyway, its possible, just not easy or cheap. 

My 2 cents anyway!

Cam 

My actual idea behind it was to do it as cheap as possible and as quickly as possible. I was going to try and keep the mx5 in a state where it can still drive at all stages and just cut as much as I can until the 205 body nearly slides over(great idea but in practice questionable i know) 

Adam
14 minutes ago, SRDT said:

What about a MG TF rear subframe? That way you don't have to mess with the front of the car.

I have enough mgs around the place currently have 2 zrs only after getting rid of one. My reason for using the full mx5 is to keep everything square as I’ve heard people have a lot of difficulty lining it up by doing that sort of method

SRDT

If the wheelbase isn't the same you probably need to chop the mx5 shell and the Power Plant Frame anyway.

Adam

I think that there is only a 15mm in a difference 

jackherer
34 minutes ago, Adam said:

I think that there is only a 15mm in a difference 

I googled it just now and it's more like 15cm.

385161017_ScreenShot2019-04-08at23_12_42.thumb.png.77d84734838ff97a0d364d877f2364c4.png

We've got the 205 wheelbase listed as 242cm here: 

...so that's certainly in the right ballpark for the 205.

And the MX5 is listed as 226.5cm on Wikipedia. That's the mk1, the mk2 is 227cm and the mk3 is 232.9cm

welshpug

with the way the mx5 is constricted you wouldnt need to do any "cutting away" of the body, just unbolt the whole thing, adapt the 205 to take the rear subframe and add some turrets.

the only complication you might find is that the nose of a 205 is not long enough to take an engine and also has no transmission tunnel,  so without severe bulkhead and floor mods which takes you into BIVA territory

Adam
10 hours ago, welshpug said:

with the way the mx5 is constricted you wouldnt need to do any "cutting away" of the body, just unbolt the whole thing, adapt the 205 to take the rear subframe and add some turrets.

the only complication you might find is that the nose of a 205 is not long enough to take an engine and also has no transmission tunnel,  so without severe bulkhead and floor mods which takes you into BIVA territory

My plan was to use all the mx5 mounts and all ie nearly be able to start the car the whole way through the process and have a 205 body on a mx5 floor pan planning on calling it the mx502 or 205xm