• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Another beam related question!

Telf

This screw and washer that fits on the anti roll bar- is it vital? As far as I can tell it's to help remove the ARB plate? 

The reason I ask is one won't wind fully in to the ARB despite me retapping the thread. As it won't wind up to the washer I can't get the ARBplates to fit so im abit stuck. I was thinking I might just shorten the screw thread a touch or not bother fitting them.

Thoughts pleasr

Thanks

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551288950340.jpg_1551288953024.jpeg

Duroc

Bolts/studs are only put in there, as you say, to take off and put on the ARB plates. Then they are taken out. When fitted on a plastic cap is screwed into the hole to stop crap getting in. If the thread is gone in the arb, so a stud can't be screwed in to draw the ARB plate onto the ARB, I'd just carefully tap it on with a rubber mallet

Telf

ive realised what ive done- the stud in the picture is supposed to go into the opposite end of the torsion bar isn't it?

ive misread the diagram on the how to guide I think

Telf

so after much pondering i've worked out that I have indeed fitted both torsion bars without the  screw arrowed in the picture. I've already fitted the offset washer and screw to the other side. the torsion bar is perfectly secure and fully engaged so my question is do I need to take it to pieces again?

1.jpg

Telf

so my beam currently looks like the picture below- the stud isn't there but the torsion bar is fully inserted and secure at the other end

3.jpg

Edited by Telf

Tom Fenton

Is this a serious question? Yes the double ended stud is required.

• Like 1

Telf

yeah it is tom - its that tight I was wondering if its just there to draw the bar in or it holds it- that's all

welshpug

not to draw it in at all, firm finger pressure should get them in, the stud sets the clearance to the seal between the arm and the seal, then the nut holds it all in place.

Telf

Ok I see I'll take it to bits again. I actually struggled to get the splines to engage . Had to tap them in bit I think that was because of residual paint . Shouldn't take long to sort out.

Tom Fenton

You need to clean the splines so you can see your face in them. The bars should slide into the housing/arm with not much more than finger pressure with the trailing arm hanging off the dummy damper. That is the only way to get an accurate ride height and corner weight set up side to side. The double ended stud sets the seal clearance at the opposite end of the bar. It is this attention to detail that makes the difference between a car that drives well and lasts as it should to one that will drive like s*ite and/or give problems prematurely.

• Like 1

Telf

All stripped and redone . Think sorted now. Thanks for the help

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551353726258.jpg_1551353728247.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551353710195.jpg_1551353718436.jpeg

Duroc

Seeing as I'm fairly local to you, I can check it over for you if you like?

Telf

Yeah that would be great. I think it's fine but another set of eyes is always good

Tom Fenton

Top damper bolts wrong way round, you cannot remove them like that with the beam fitted to the car.

Anti roll bar end plates need properly drawing onto the bar as the seals won't seal properly, and the tyre side wall will be very very close, or actually rubbing on the end plates with them like that, there is not lots of clearance even as totally standard. Are those washers under the plate at the fixing end, if so remove them.

Telf
5 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Right I'll swap the bolts round. I fitted them as I found them from when I stripped it.

So the roll bar plate I take it the orange seal shouldn't be visible at all. I wasn't sure and couldn't find any confirmation. They weren't fitted at all before.

Telf

Thanks for the help so far. Heres a couple of pics of the interface between the beam and the arms. Correct or not? I have adjusted it with the screw on the torsion bars. 

received_2227297754206909.jpeg

received_328983681064131.jpeg

Duroc

The seals look a little too squashed. Haynes says you should be able to get a 0.05mm feeler gauge in between the arm and the seal

Duroc

....or in other words, adjust so that the seal just touches the arm

Telf

I'm slightly confused tbh . Having read the Haynes and the guides I'm.measuring the gap between the silver cap over the seal and the arm right?

So between the silver portion and the arm I should be able to insert a 0.05mm feeler

Duroc

The feeler should go between the silver cup and the black seal lip, The lip should just be touching the silver cup, but you should be able to just slide the feeler in

Telf

Crap . It's too tight then!

Ok I'll back it off a bit. Thanks very much.

Telf

So I think I've sorted the anti roll bar seals- does this look better? 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551457181977.jpg_1551457184077.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551457195990.jpg_1551457198013.jpeg

Telf

I've fitted the caliper mounts and had a look at the new hubs. I'm rather concerned that they are incorrect, it looks to me like they are too big and will catch on the caliper mount, I've looked on service box as I thought maybe there was a spacer or something behind the hub, which isn't the case. Pictures below . 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551457841031.jpg_1551457843874.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551457865609.jpg_1551457867832.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1551457879599.jpg_1551457881172.jpeg

Telf

So I'm not sure if I've ended up with an incorrect part or not. The old ones where binned by the workshop when the axle was stripped so I've nothing to compare it with