• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
murtaghp

Running Hot

murtaghp

With the better weather coming in the next few months, I want to address the issues I had last year with my 1.9 engine running hot.

The engine would run with no issues and did not lack any power but, the cooling fan would switch on after about 10 - 15 mins of running. 

The engine would not overheat as the fan kept it under control but, the fan would continue running after the engine was switched off which eventually killed my battery.

I have gathered a number of parts over the winter and I'm planning on blitzing the lot over the next few weeks and my question here relates to thermostat temperatures.

As my car was running hot and switching the fan on, I presume that my thermostat operating temperature and thermo-switch on the radiator are too close in terms of temperature.

If I want to drop the operating temperature of the engine, should I look to fit a colder thermostat or a hotter one? 

Tom Fenton

The rad fan switches are bloody awful and that’s what I’d look at changing. If the coolant temperature on the dash gauge is ok, then it could be there isn’t actually a problem with the thermostat.

Telf

I'd echo what Tom says. It was my first thought as I read the post, having g had the same issue.

murtaghp

Thanks for the help guys, I’ll get one ordered.