• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kachel

Tachymetric relay issue?

kachel

Sometimes the engine stops running out of the blue during riding it. I found out that it might be the tachymetric relay or the wiring from it. When i wiggle the tachymetric relay by holding it up for example than the engine does start again. In my case the tachymetric relay is in the glovebox next to the ecu.

I have replaced the relay by another (not new) one. But the problem stays. When the engine runs and i give the tachymetric relay a little tap the engine dies immediately. So can you give me some advice? Is there a way to bypass the relay and check per wire what could be the cause?

Sometimes the fuel pump keeps on priming when i have sitched of the contact.

Edited by kachel

DamirGTI

I had diode burnt years ago inside the relay which manifested a bit like you described .. soldered contacts on the relay board also sometimes cause problems .

Undo the relay cover and carefully inspect the relay board for burnt diodes , resistors and especially - all soldered contact for loose or broken joint (magnifying glass will help) .. if you find any bad/loose joints just heat up and add some fresh solder that'll do no need for new relay .

Also inspect the relay socket and clean up and "tense up" a bit all of the wiring connectors in the socket so that they grip tightly on the relay terminals .. seems like you have problem in the relay wiring/relay socket rather than the relay itself if you tried another one (known good one i guess) .

Some info about the relay and relay wiring :

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Thanks 1

kachel

Thanks a lot Damir! The problem seems to be solved. I started wigging each wire seperate to check if that caused the problem. Car kept on running so the wiring under the dashboard seemed to be ok. When i wigged the relay then the engine quit immediately. Then i started to work on your advice to tense up the connectors in the socket to get a good grip on the relay terminals and that was the solution as it seems now! Where the engine would die immediately by only tipping the relay it now keeps on running. Cheers mate!

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Nice one ! .. i tend to do that wiring connector "tensing up" on pretty much all the wiring connector ends .

Have fun .

D