• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Richie-Van-GTi

Sensible tuning on the 1.6 8v

Richie-Van-GTi

I'm after some advice and recommendations please.

I have a stock 91 pre cat 1.6 8v, I plan on a full motronic conversion, mp5.2 from a 306 xsi remapped to suit. Since it's getting mapped it makes sense to have the engine built to a better spec and only map once. I planned on a Piper ultimate road cam with similar lift to standard but a lot more duration and a 4 branch manifold to 2 inch stainless system. Also to incorporate a 306 throttle body with the idle air valve built in.

Questions are would it be worth having 3 angle valve seats put in, any recommendations for who and should I skin the head to raise CR or will the duration cause interference if I do that?

petert

Cutting the seats "properly" is free hp. ie you won't loose anything. You should also ask to hand blend from the seats down into the bowl. ie a mild porting job.

Your compression ratio should be matched to your camshaft choice. Thus if choosing the Piper P16BP285, you'd want 11:1. You will have to skim the head significantly to achieve that on a 1.6. Maybe even a thinner head gasket as well. The valves won't hit the piston.

Edited by petert
  • Thanks 1

Richie-Van-GTi

Thanks Peter, a few basic calculations tell me I need to reduce the compressed volume height by 0.81mm , do you know if the standard head has enough meat to take that off? I am sure I seen a post once on here that stateed how much meat is available but can't find it anymore.

petert

You can remove up to 2mm safely. I can't recall what the standard height is. It was in another post recently. A big skim will require elongating of one of the engine mount holes.

Tom Fenton

If you are going to the extent of fitting the motronic stuff, then it’s a way off standard, so would a 1900 engine not be an easier way to more power using similar methods?

Richie-Van-GTi
7 hours ago, petert said:

You can remove up to 2mm safely. I can't recall what the standard height is. It was in another post recently. A big skim will require elongating of one of the engine mount holes.

Oversizing the mount won't be an issue, I thought I recalled 2mm being safe.

5 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

If you are going to the extent of fitting the motronic stuff, then it’s a way off standard, so would a 1900 engine not be an easier way to more power using similar methods?

Yes a 1.9 or even a 16v would have been easier and cheaper for a power increase but I wanted to stay 1.6 since it's the original engine that came with the car, also less hassle with DVLA and insurance etc. I am not chasing huge numbers, just making it a little bit more fun and increasing reliability.

Thanks for the help so far, I bought the 282 degree catcam instead of the piper and a billet flywheel for the motronic so just shopping round for the head work now :D

petert

Which Catcam?

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi.

If you do find you have any issues with your insurance for these modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Richie-Van-GTi
On 12/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, petert said:

Which Catcam?

4900366, listed as a trackday cam but the car will be a seldom used toy so I can live with it being a bit lumpy round town.

boldy205

Its a lot of money for not much gain I'd say. I, like many others on here, looked at tuning the 8v, looked at the cost, and stuck a 16v in there. When I did it Mi16s were a lot more plentiful I guess.

Regarding insurance,  you still need to disclose all modifications, just to be on the safe side .

Just my thoughts  

Richie-Van-GTi

as I have said its not a question of chasing power although getting a few more ponies is a bonus. The main quest is having something reliable which getting rid of the AFM and the dizzy provides. I know a well set up dizzy system is reliable but with all the dizzy and AFM's getting on a bit they are becoming more prone to issues. Also doing this makes the bay a little bit neater.