• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Connor

205 GT Interior Fumes

Connor

Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help? I got a 205 GT last week and it has a number of issues which are needing addressed but the main one is the very strong fumes inside of the car. They're bad to the point of causing headaches and they render the heater basically useless since it just blows them into your face. It seems to be coming from a variety of sources since it smells like unburnt petrol, exhaust fumes and oil inside.  What I've identified needing done so far is:

• The boot seal is very worn out and I suspect exhaust fumes are coming in from it, does anyone know where you can get seals for these cars? 
  • The rocker cover gasket is pretty weepy and I think there is burnt oil coming from there, so I'm going to change that.

When looking at the car it does seem like there is a fuel leak at the front of the car somewhere, since you can see it on the ground. Also when you fill the car over half full there is a very strong petrol smell in the car. Under the bonnet there is also a strong petrol smell. I took a look at the fuel lines under the bonnet but there was nothing blindingly obvious although the carb looks a bit weepy too, do you think I should refresh the lines and carb gaskets? Also, the cars idle is a bit lumpy and it can be a bit of a pig to get it to start which could be related maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm fairly new to working on cars but I have an engineering background so feel reasonably confident to have a go myself.

Cheers!

Edited by Connor