• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

Engine loom bulkhead seal

Telf

Does anybody know if the bulkhead seal for the loom from the ECU to engine is still available?any info would be great!

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1544274047152.jpg_1544274053958.jpeg

Tom Fenton

No, it never has been, its not a separate part, its moulded to the loom.

Telf

Cheers tom. Does anybody have one from an old loom they could sell me then?

Tom Fenton

By the time they are cut off they are knackered. They are literally moulded in place. Time to get creative, I’ve done it a few different ways basically making an alloy bolt on plate to fit in the hole.

Telf

Can the wires not just be pulled through and then fed back on the replacement loom without cutting it?

Telf

So after a chat with Jackhere I'm going to try and make a seal out if this Peugeot seal..

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1546524750239.jpg_1546524752381.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1546524787887.jpg_1546524791324.jpeg

Anthony

That's the bonnet cable grommet/seal isn't it?

If so, I've routed sections of looms through a modified one of those under the expansion tank in the past to avoid heat damage on GTi-6 conversions that occurs routing wiring the original way.  The one thing I'll warn you of is that the hole that grommet fits into on the bulkhead is too small to pass larger connector plugs through, so think carefully about how you're going to do it before making the loom and discovering you can't actually fit it!

There will be some form of generic grommet that'll do the job I'd imagine, just a question of measuring and sourcing.

Telf

Yes I think it is. I'm going to feed it from the cabin side . There aren't any real large plugs on the emerald loom. I think they will all fit through the hole. If not I'll just de pin them again:lol:

Telf

oh well that wont work! the diameter at the bulkhead is wider than the diameter at the loom so I presume that part of the grommet must fit into the soundproofing.

Anthony
24 minutes ago, Telf said:

oh well that wont work! the diameter at the bulkhead is wider than the diameter at the loom so I presume that part of the grommet must fit into the soundproofing.

If you look at your picture at the top, the end of the seal/grommet facing the bottom of the picture fits into the bulkhead, the sound deadening sits in the gap above that, and the upper most part of the seal sits inside the cabin nearest the driver.

That bonnet release cable seal/grommet you've got is smaller again.

Telf

yep I can see that now I've gone to the car and compared it- just didn't realise quite how it went together as its been removed for almost 2 years

Telf

Back to plan A . I carefully cut the seal off. Should be ok with some rubber sealant I've got

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1546624799872.jpg_1546624801960.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1546624812171.jpg_1546624813972.jpeg

pug_ham
On 1/4/2019 at 6:03 PM, Telf said:

Back to plan A . I carefully cut the seal off. Should be ok with some rubber sealant I've got

That's pretty much the way I did mine and it's been fine ever since.

g

• Like 1

Telf

Yep I've done just that. Seems ok. It's drying ATM. Pics to follow

pug_ham

I also used a cable tie to help hold it all together, iirc there was one on there originally too.

g

Telf

Sealant applied to loom and seal fitted. More applied to the cut and left to dry. Seems to be good. Once fitted I'll apply a layer of PRC and it should be fine for the rest of the time I own it.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1548066888905.jpg_1548066891551.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1548411868461.jpg_1548411870740.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1548411882612.jpg_1548411885890.jpeg