• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

4ll5op

Rust found behind glovebox

4ll5op

Had a leak in passenger footwell so today I have been investigating. I started removing the dashboard and glovebox then I found this rust.  Anyone come across this before and how do I access this rust from outside the car

IMG_20181203_141406.jpg

4ll5op

IMG_20181203_141358.jpg

Telf

I replied to this yesterday- inside this thread is another link showing exactly the same rot in my car and how it was fixed

Telf

you can see the extent in mine when I stripped it all back

20171027_123428.jpg

4ll5op

ah i have read that thread u replied in a few times just not yesterday unfortunatly

this picture ive attached thats what you repaired to stop the leak?

thanks

stu

post-21474-0-20801400-1477674217_thumb.jpg

Telf

I thought it was from that area , it wasn't it was from the scuttle panel

4ll5op

ok sound i carried on reading your thread and it mentions that on page 6 along with good photos. like you said it looks fine to me but under the sealant im guessing im in for a shock

Callum

I'm in the same boat how did you remove the glove box? 

Edited by Callum

4ll5op

think there was 4 screws if u look under the glove box. and if u open the glovebox there is 1 more

Callum

Thanks, have you removed the kick trim on the left? I've had the screws and bonnet release out but the trim doesn't want to come out it's getting stuck on something 

4ll5op

Yer had them removed for a while as was replacing the wing so not sure if they have to be removed aswell but they were when I took my glove box out

4ll5op

finally got round to tackling this. everything looked fine under the vacuum box but after a poke and a prod i made a hole so took it back to bare metal and revealed more.

repair should be easy for my welding guy but one question is what do i do with that circle feature? the other side is a bolt for dashboard

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-16 at 16.17.52(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-16 at 16.17.52(2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-16 at 16.17.52.jpeg

Callum

That's the top of the stud that the fuse box bracket is fixed to you could fix the bracket on once repaired then drill through the hole that's missing the stud then put a bolt and nut inplace then reseal that area. If it isn't one of the ones for the fuse box it will be for the glove box.

I cleaned back all the sealant on mine and luckily there wasn't any rust but there must have been a split in sealant somewhere because now I've resealed that area I haven't got a leak, there was no need for the amount of sealant in that area they used in the factory when it was built 

Edited by Callum

4ll5op

yer its definitely for the fusebox. just hoping there was an way to make it look like the factory did it

Telf

as above- id be really careful- if its anything like mine the whole corner was wafer thin a perforated with tiny holes- what im saying is cut a fair area out when you repair it