• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MrStock

Coolant Leak

MrStock

Hey, mi 1.9 90 gti leaks coolage. Not much, but i see drops on the oil pan, and it seems to come from something above the oil lines. I dont see any leakage from the top, i think it could be under the intake manifold. Are there any typical spots for leakage? 

I hope the picture helps. I cant put the system under pressure cause i dont have the tools for that.

20181022_111427.jpg

Anthony

There's coolant ways between the head and inlet manifold, the head gasket and the possibility of a cracked/porous block.   There's also coolant running through the throttle body, but that's a little to the right of that point.

Finally, there's there thermostat housing on that end of the engine that's worth checking, but that' s unlikely to leave coolant drips on the front of the sump IMO and normally either pools on top of the gearbox or drips down the rear of the sump or diff housing.

MrStock

Thx! Throttle Body checked, Thermostat housing also fine. So i think i have to take the inlet manifold off. Is there anything to concern when i screw it off? Do i need just a new gasket or some dense paste too?

I ordered too all new coolant rubber lines from baker, i think thats the perfect time for that

Edited by MrStock

Anthony

Part drain the cooling system, remove the inlet manifold, clear off the remains of the old gasket and refit with a new gasket (make sure it's an injection one - the XU carb one is a different shape and blocks the injector)

Personally, whilst the inlet is off I tend to drill/tap the coolant way in the head and block it with a grubscrew as it's not needed on injection models.  From memory it's M8 size you need.  Should mean it'll never leak and means that you can remove the inlet manifold in future without needing to part-drain the cooling system.

MrStock

Thx again! So why its there when its not needed?

Anthony

The same basic head is also used on carb applications, which does have matching coolant ways in the inlet manifold as I understand.

When you remove the inlet manifold you'll see what I mean - there's coolant ways in the head, but there's no matching coolant way on the injection manifold.

PhilNW

When does it appear, when hot or cold? 

After running or when running?

It is definitely water and not an oil mist?

MrStock

Im 100 percent sure its coolant. And it runs a little bit all the time. I feel water under the intake manifold, so this could be the problem. I will dissasemble it tommorow i hope.

Philpooma

By chance do you have an Easy Bleed brake bleed kit?

If you do its a good way of pressuring the cooling system as there are screw on reservoir options in the kit that will fit the Gti.

If you have an unused kit, great, if not you can thoroughly clean out with rubbing alcohol and go from there.

I have done this when looking either for coolant leaks, or for pressure testing prior to adding coolant. Works pretty well.

I now have a spare kit which I use just for this purpose, good luck, leaks are a real pain.

MrStock

So i removed the intake manifold and its clearly a wasted gasket. On both coolant points gasket is completly ruined. And i found no other problems under the intake, but will put new hoses in next days.

Found also some other things to do. Do anyone know what that cable mounted to that rotten iron tube could be?

Also done some 10min polish, looks good i think.

20181027_121832.jpg

20181027_121837.jpg

Ozymandis

Brake pad, wear warning light wire, attached to the steel coolant pipe.

MrStock

thx!

MrStock

I killed one sealent of an injector while i polished the intake manifold. I had other injectors with a fuel rail at home, but they are black and mine are orange. I put a sealent from the black ones on the orange injector, and cant put that injector back in the fuel rail. They look like they are the same size, but it seems they are not.

Someone knows the difference between orange and black injectors (Both must be from 1.9) and do they have different seals? Thank you

jackherer

The seals will be the same but they can swell slightly with age and be very hard to reinstall.

The same parts were used on many different vehicles, if you search on ebay for Bosch EV1 injector seals you'l find some kits are available. It's worth changing them all if they are old and swollen. If they fail the resultant air leaks can cause some very hard to find running issues.

MrStock

So i replaced gasket, overhauled the injectors and put in a set of baker bms coolant hoses. All is running fine and smooth. Thanks again to you guys!

jackherer

Sorry, I missed your post on the 21st Nov.

Glad to hear it's running right now.