• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RichE

Rear Seat Belts.

RichE

I'd like to remove my rear seat belts, but not sure if I can legally.

The car's a 1992, can I pass an MOT If I take them out?

Any answered would be appreciated.

Also, was looking at car audio direct. I saw these and wondered whether they might fit a 205. What do you guys/gals think?

:wacko:

Guest Gareth

as far as i know, if the car is of this sort of age it has to have seatbelts fitted if there are seats fitted. if the rear seat are removed it's ok. (as far as i know)

dunno about the speakers pods though, i've never had a stereo in the gti...!

Guest d-9

I thought it was "if fitted they must work". Just pull your rear seats out for the mot.

RichE

hmm, can anyone say for sure?

RichE

Someone must know!

Guest richsVTR

if u remove ur rear seat belts but leave the seats in it will fail , as said if fitted they must work just take the rear seats out aswell and u will be fine either have both in or both out and it will pass

Anthony

On older cars I know that seat belts are not a legal requirement but must work if fitted - not sure if this is still the case with cars registered in 1992 though.

The only info I could find on the web (here) just said the following rather useless information under requirements for seats and belts:

Seats

Seats should be secure and unable to move.

Should withstand sudden shocks and emergency braking.

Seatbelts

Be safe and secure and fully functional.

Of correct type and in good condition.

Just remove the rear seats as d_9 said - with no rear seats I definately can't see you'll have any problems with having no rear seatbelts.

Can I ask though - why do you want to remove the rear seatbelts if (I assume) you're leaving the rear seats in place?

Gary

You beat me to it.

Half way down the page Seat belt check.

Cars after 1987 need belts if seats are fitted.

RichE

Cheers. Guess I'll leave them in then.

I wanted to know if I could remove them as the belt winder/motor is located in the panel below the rear quarter window. I am doing my 3rd and final round of soundproofing and was going to apply expandable foam, and remove the "winder"

however seeing as I cant I'll have to be a bit more careful.

Not really a problem - just annoying.

Anthony

Does expandable foam really help from the soundproofing point of view?

I assume that you use it in enclosed spaces to help prevent sound echoing around and to slightly cut panel resonance, correct or am I way off the mark?

RichE

If by saying "slightly cut panel resonance" you mean to stop rattling then yep. :wacko:

It works well yes. Lets just I hardly have any rattles in my car.

I cannot hear cars go by or anything like that, however i can with HGV vechiles, just so hence the 3rd layer of flashing tape/dynamatt.

DrSeuss

If you use binliners to wrap the seatbelt mechanism then you can spray in the foam and then cut away the bit around the mechanism without any foam jamming up the gubbins. Thus allowing both. I found this out when i put a printer into storage, they sandwiched it in binliner plastic then sprayed the foam to form a perfect it which also made an indesctructible brick of foam around the printer, protecting it. Just make sure its a good seal.

RichE

Top notch idea!

Cheers matey! :wacko:

Guest richard

apparently you only need 2 working seat belts in the rear of a 91 onwards car. This is what i was told at the last mot as i took the n/s belt out.

Also just as a pleasureable reminder of the stupid price (even pug parts dept questioned this) that the rear belts are only available as a set and will rob you of £240 ex vat

Guest d-9

lol, reminds me of when i asked for a set of seat BOLTS in my local pug dealer. the local yorkshire kid missunderstood my deep southern accent and thought i said seat belts. You can imagine my surprise when he quoted £240 for 10 bolts.

Guest rodneyp

lol well i have a set of rear seatbelts sitting in my shed including centre belt if any1 wants them? lol worth a try! ed

Sign in to follow this