Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danj.pdx

1.6 GTi - noise in rear suspension

danj.pdx

Hi,

This issue may be well trodden ground. I'm new to 205s.

My 1.6 GTi, which I've only driven about 1,500 miles so far, has a metallic 'thunk' noise coming from the rear suspension. Only occasionally. It sounds like a metal rod or something that binds, then releases. The noise happens during cornering when weight shifts from one side to the other. I have the car on jack stands for some other maintenance and haven't been able to recreate the issue. As far as I can tell, the suspension is stock/OEM with rear drum brakes.

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Thank you in advance,

Dan

Telf

Does it move freely?

danj.pdx

The suspension? Yes, it seems to move freely. There's really not much travel with what I assume are the standard bump stops though.

Not yet being familiar with these cars - although I've had torsion bar 911s and 944s in the past - there's nothing obvious that I can see that's binding. I really don't want to dismantle the rear looking for trouble.

Thanks,

Dan.

Rob_the_Sparky

A common fault is for the bearing to collapse that are in the main tube.  Look at the car from behind and look for camber in the rear wheels.  If there is LOTS of it then you probably have a failed outer bearing.  Worth a check though I have not actually driven one with this fault so hoping others might be able to say if this symptom matches, I just know it is a common rear beam problem.

Also possible is that someone has dropped the ride height, used to be done for looks just by moving the arm a spline on the torsion bar.  Not a great idea for handling as they tend to then hit the bump stops, but don't think it would cause the kind of noise described, just rather unpleasant handling.

tartanbloke

Sounds like the rear beam in knackered dude. Same issue happened on mine when going round certain bends and when you say not much travel, this should be free and more than a few cm.