• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ORB

So, I’ve not really used my 205 much over the last few years, I take it out for a few days in the summer, get it MOT’d in September and that’s about it. 

Ive planned to start a full on hardcore restoration over the winter but I’ll get round to that when my health is good. 

The last last few times I’ve ran the car I’ve noticed that the starter won’t work unless the battery is fresh off charge, but what’s weird it isn’t giving the signs of a lazy battery ie: it’s not cranking at all, you can occasionally hear the solenoid click a couple of times. Then it will either do nothing or it will crank and start. I don’t think it’s the starter itself, I’m leaning more to an earth? It was embarrassing at MOT on Saturday as it refused to crank for tester and I had to bump start it...

What would your thoughts be? 

1991 - 1.9 with GTi-6 engine. 

ORB

Image from Friday eve before I took it for test. No relevance - Just because images are good. 

8ADEF8FE-3106-4362-A568-58D3E15B30CD.jpeg

petert

Sounds like the ignition switch is past its use by date. Do you have a relay on the solenoid yet? If not, this usually fixes things by reducing the current on the ignition switch.