• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

K20205

Base model rear arch cutting

K20205

Ive recently bought a 1.1 base model hatch, i have a 1.6gti as a donor and want to switch everything onto the base model but the arches seem smaller when i test fitted the quarter panel trim from the gti.

how far deep do i need to cut to get the gti trims to fit onto it?

has anyone got pictures of theirs if theyve done it.

cheers

0553BC14-DC2F-45BF-A85A-53274DC85BAF.png

1E8FFB71-F47B-43EC-84AC-0B0C3DF5DAC1.jpeg

5379D68C-0198-4A34-A369-04E39317443F.png

Edited by K20205

boldy205

Once you get the gti trims off, you will see. It's quite a large 'egg' shape arch. Not sure but I think you will be into some serious body modifications to get it all done properly. Can you use some rallye arches instead?

Tom Fenton

Remove plastic arch from GTI make a template of the shape. Transfer to base model cut the 1/4 panel. You will also need to cut the inner wheel well and then weld a piece in to bridge the gap. Not difficult to do but take your time to do it neatly.

K20205
4 hours ago, boldy205 said:

Once you get the gti trims off, you will see. It's quite a large 'egg' shape arch. Not sure but I think you will be into some serious body modifications to get it all done properly. Can you use some rallye arches instead?

I want to put 16inch alloys and its going to rub or maybe not even fit, i need to cut to make space for the larger wheels.

its going to be k20’d from a civic.

K20205
2 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Remove plastic arch from GTI make a template of the shape. Transfer to base model cut the 1/4 panel. You will also need to cut the inner wheel well and then weld a piece in to bridge the gap. Not difficult to do but take your time to do it neatly.

That is exactly what i was thinking to do mate. Makes sense as ive got a shell to compare with.

thanks

steve@cornwall

I would think the 16s would foul even the gti arch tbh. so tou would possibly need an even more extreme cut. To be sure, could you not fit the 16s on the donor shell and jack the suspension arm to the bump stops to see just how much trimming is needed?  A practice run on the donor shell could be very useful preparation.

boldy205

That looks like a great project. Could you not keep the std arches, would make a great sleeper!

K20205
21 hours ago, steve@cornwall said:

I would think the 16s would foul even the gti arch tbh. so tou would possibly need an even more extreme cut. To be sure, could you not fit the 16s on the donor shell and jack the suspension arm to the bump stops to see just how much trimming is needed?  A practice run on the donor shell could be very useful preparation.

Problem is i havent got the alloys yet.

i got a decent set of 15”s that are 195width maybe ill give that a go. I dont want to cut anything extreme just to fit larger alloys. 15 might have to do.

ftoomsh

How did you sort the rear arches in the end??

K20205
3 hours ago, ftoomsh said:

How did you sort the rear arches in the end??

Yes mate all done long time ago.

42234FCE-2CF5-4DF5-8794-562E06FF86B4.jpeg

4ADF84A2-76CE-44D5-9BA4-0DF80E7F1130.jpeg