• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kostas205

Different rear wheel hubs on 1.9 axle

kostas205

Hello,

I just installed a rear axle from a 1.9 gti with discs to my 205 and in order to check its condition I went the car for an alignment.

Camber and toe values where all ok with negligible differences left to right. The problem is that the passenger side is approximentaly

2 cm wider than it should. I think that something is different with the rear wheel hubs but i can't understand the reason.

In the pictures below :

1) The red distances are equal.

2) The green arrow shows a different piece of the passenger hub. I think that this metal is not a wheel bearing because it has 68mm diameter.

Rear wheel bearings have 52mm outer diameter. I am right?

Any ideas what exactly is hapening?

Thank you!

IMG_20180916_145742.jpg

IMG_20180916_152925.jpg

jackherer

I think that is an ABS hub from a 306 or something with the ABS teeth taken off from the area you arrowed in green.

WB3482.jpg

kostas205

Ok, so the wrong one is the passenger side hub?

jackherer

I think so, yes.

How did the brake discs and pads line up in the caliper? Did the caliper have to be pulled out on the sliders to get them to fit?

Tom Fenton

I’d bet that someone has repaired the trailing arm that side in the past by just substituting an arm off a 306. They look very similar at visual inspection but when you measure the sub axle is longer, and there’s a spacer if 9mm if I remember right that sits behind the bearing.

I’d also measure the brake discs as it could be they are different side to side offset wise.

kostas205

No problem with the disc and pads. Removal and refitting was the usual procedure.

Disc offset's are also the same.

I forgot to mention that the passenger side wheel bearing is worn.

Tom can you tell me where should I meause to ensure that both trailing arms are 205 ones?

Edited by kostas205

welshpug

if a 205 disc fitted and centred in tge calipee with pads fitted then its a 205 hub.

newer 205 rear hubs often have the machining in place for an abs ring as the casting is nigh on identical to the 306 so the visual differences can be disregarded.

I've yet to compare the parts but like tom said the spacer in the 306 assembly is around 9mm thicker in total, not sure if its a single piece or an additional part, the 205 has a large disc there already, the bearing and flange may be identical.

Edited by welshpug

Ozymandis

Check the mountings between the body and axle. Axle may be offset?

kostas205

I meausred the dimensions from the mountings and they are same left to right. What do you mean that the axle may be offset?

Ozymandis

The pressed steel mounting brackets at the frontof the axle are handed , Left and right , it`s possible to get that bit wrong and offset it all one way or another, if you swapped an axle you may have mis-matched them?

They are marked by peugeot G for gauche and D for droit

kostas205

The brackets you talking about are these in the photo right?

41884463_2134099580243203_1686511048707801088_n.jpg

Tom Fenton
11 hours ago, Ozymandis said:

The pressed steel mounting brackets at the frontof the axle are handed , Left and right , it`s possible to get that bit wrong and offset it all one way or another, if you swapped an axle you may have mis-matched them?

They are marked by peugeot G for gauche and D for droit

Only 1.9 GTI. All the rest (base, 1.6 gti, 309) are not offset and not stamped.

kostas205

On the picture is my previous axle ( base model with drums), where exactly is it stamped?

Ozymandis

8 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Only 1.9 GTI. All the rest (base, 1.6 gti, 309) are not offset and not stamped.

In the OP he`s fitted a 1.9 axle.

Kostas ,as Tom says the lesser model brackets arent stamped its just the 1.9 model brackets.

You cant see the stamping with it fitted to the car.

Blimey your old axles so clean and un-rusty, they all look like rusty scrap in Britain

Edited by Ozymandis

kostas205

I have pictures of the axle before the fitment. The stamps are between the two mounting bolts?

Yeah that's true, the climate here in Greece is the reason for this. On the other hand finding gti parts, is very hard and expensive.

Edited by kostas205

Ozymandis

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/welshpug/media/cGF0aDoyMDUgR1RpLzMwLTEyLTA2LTA5LmpwZw==/?ref=

kostas205

Neither left nor right mounting has these stamps on. So I am assuming that I have base model mountings on a 1.9 gti axle or the axle itself is a 1.6 gti/Rallye one, but with disc trailing arms. The solution to this is finding the stamped mountings??

welshpug

that will not correct the 2cm sideways issue you have, which will not be from any variance in the mountings, only a bent shell, or wrong hubs, however your hubs appear correct and matching.

kostas205

And what exactly the 1.9 gti mountings will correct? I thought that they will bring the whole axle 2 cm to the left.