• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

paint/trim question

Telf

my restoration project is nearly ready now for paint. It was originally cherry red but I have always preferred the alpine white of my first GTI.

Does anybody know if my trim will match a respray in white?

The interior is black 1/2 leather with dark gray trim. My exterior plastics are all being restored to antrachite gray.

Car is on a 'G' 1989 plate

any help would be grand

received_491347297944110_thumb_jpeg_b744908047c5af5bd51af9c14fd51e7d.jpg

Edited by Telf

Tom Fenton

Trim is all the same per model year regardless of paint colour pre-phase 2. (Exception being the SE cars)

Only the carpets and seats are different on some phase 2 cars, steel grey, sorrento black, laser green.

• Like 1

Telf

ok cheers Tom, I can get away with this colour change then!

Telf

so ...

will a colour change effect value?

and who on this fine community thinks I should go ahead and change it?

SootySport

The Purists won’t like it but most enthusiasts will covert it as a well restored car, as you are doing. White is my fave colour on 205’s by the way.

Tom Fenton

It’s your car at the end of the day. I think if you keep it a period original correct colour then it shouldn’t really make any difference. What I personally don’t like is cars in colours that weren’t available at the time. So for instance a pre H reg car painted laser green or steel grey etc. Same goes these days for early card fitted with phase 2 rear lights. All the rage at one time (did it myself to 1 car!) but as things have changed doesn’t look right now. My personal opinion.

barneys66

Depends if it's a keeper or not, which I'm guessing it is, in which case paint it the colour you're going to like best.

If you do eventually sell then you've got photographic evidence and a rock solid reason for the change.

205Rallee
5 hours ago, Telf said:

so ...

will a colour change effect value?

and who on this fine community thinks I should go ahead and change it?

I love both and have 205's in both colours, originality is great but go with what you want, I love blanc  meije but my wife always thinks it's more beige than white....

jackherer

Is Alpine white (POWT / EWT) the same as blanc Meije? And was there only one shade of white used on 205 GTIs?

I thought earlier cars were slightly beige, quite a warm white and later cars were a much more vivid cold white.

Paul's car is a 'phase 1.75' changeover model (Aug '89 - Sept '90) with early plastics and lights but with late style seats. So if (for example) he chose to paint it in Miami blue the correct shade would be the earlier one from the limited editions as it is from that period in time.

Gaz205

If you do it white will

it show up the age of other things like you rubbers, bumpers and trim and glass etc? 

Darker paint will hide that. 

But....

its totally your car and go with what the little man on your shoulder is telling you 

davemar

Collars and cuffs, and all that - fnarr, fnarr.

Sometime in the mythical future I'd like to get a respray, where are you having yours done, and roughly how much is it costing?

My trim seems to be more shades of gray than a novel popular with women who own cats, so what are you using to get yours coloured evenly?

MrAndy

Just out of curiousity... How do you handle the VIN-number area? I can see that you will paint the engine room area also.

My vote is on white (as did my first 205 in 1992-1996)

-A-

ian010778

I just love red cars - always thought the 205 would look amazing in Diablo red but as Tom said I too am not a fan of cars in colours that are out of time so my 205 will be done in it's original Cherry red.

Out of interest, how do you go on with things like the V5 document? My friend had to go through a lengthy process to change his converted VW T4 camper from commercial use to recreational - will you have to go down this road to get a new V5 issued for your 205 in white? Also, probably not an issue but... isn't there some stat's about how safe or otherwise cars are in differnt colours and insurance premiums? Will a white 205 be more 'dangerous' than a red one???

Ian.

jackherer

They're hot on changes from commercial to recreational because it affects access to congestion charge zones and ultra low emissions zones.

I sent my V5 off with just a colour change on it and I got the new one back almost immediately with no questions.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
On 10/23/2018 at 2:07 PM, ian010778 said:

I just love red cars - always thought the 205 would look amazing in Diablo red but as Tom said I too am not a fan of cars in colours that are out of time so my 205 will be done in it's original Cherry red.

Out of interest, how do you go on with things like the V5 document? My friend had to go through a lengthy process to change his converted VW T4 camper from commercial use to recreational - will you have to go down this road to get a new V5 issued for your 205 in white? Also, probably not an issue but... isn't there some stat's about how safe or otherwise cars are in differnt colours and insurance premiums? Will a white 205 be more 'dangerous' than a red one???

Ian.

Hi.

With regards to insurance on our schemes changing the colour should have any real bearing to be honest unless it was something really unusual like having artwork sprayed on to it.

Regards,

Dan.