• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

kostas205

Gti subframe on simple edition 205

kostas205

Hello,

I am changing to a gti subframe on my simple edition 205. Are the rear subframe mountings need the

counterplates (350822) to bolt on properly?

Thank you.

jackherer

You need those counterplates to bolt ANY subframe to ANY 205!

Your old subframe will have used them too.

Look under the carpet inside the car, they are held in place with very flimsy metal tabs so you may need to reposition them if they have moved.

It's worth noting that the front mountings are different on a non-GTI but you can use the non-GTI mountings on a GTI subframe. I think they are rubber filled though so you may want to look into solid mounting it like a GTI.

If you plan on fitting a GTI anti roll bar you might find that the tabs on the dampers that the ARB bolts to clash with the brake line fittings. If so you'll need to cut and remount them on the inner wing. Not every non-GTI has this issue so check first.

• Thanks 1

taylorspug

Also if you are using a non BE gearbox you will need to move the mounting post for the gear linkage L-bracket.

Cobalt_drill_bit

Yeah, how should you do such a thing? I thought of the following procedure: First cut it off with an angle grinder. Remount the subframe under the car and re-attach linkage rod to the L-bracket. Then with an assistant. One moves the L-bracket around over the subframe and the other checks whether that the gear stick is properly centered in neutral. Then clamp it down or mark the spot where the weld has to be made.

Something like this?

Do you also need to change it in height?

Edited by Cobalt_drill_bit

kostas205

Yeah, you can also compare it with an si subframe and weld it in the same position.

taylorspug

As Kostas has said really.  The last time i did it was about 15 years ago but i think i just cut the mount off the old subframe and welded it in the same position on the GTi subframe.