• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enzo503

My little 205 GTI 1.9 Resto

Enzo503

Hello everyone,

I am new to these here forums but I have an old affair that has shown its face once again.   My very first car was a red 205 GTI 1.9 which I still own today and is in storage.   This one is my first true love which I rebuilt on a shoe string to a high standard.

Here is a pic of my red one on my very first track day at castle coombe with the PGAC

IMG_3247.thumb.jpg.9215740425fb667731b42614c6c492a3.jpg

I was always adamant that the 8v engine was the right engine due to weight and how it revved.    I had friends at the time with their mi's and even one with 2.0ltr turbo from the citroen xm, this little red one was never shown up in a straight line.  I was immensely proud of that.

When I was building this red one up, I happened to come across another 205 GtI 1.9 in Graphite Grey.   Now we were never in love, this one was just to get me around while my true love was being fettled with.   However over the years, TJ  (graphite grey) grew on me, it never let me down, only required maintenance and really was a fine backup.   They really did make a fine pair, so I kept them both.

Well all of this was 15 years ago...…….

Over the years I have had many offers for people to take them off of me,  but for no reason other then what must be sentiment I refused the offers, some of which were quite generous.

So while cherry (red) is in her blankets all snuggled up,  TJ will be receiving a restoration.

My main concern as it stands will be sourcing parts that will be required for what ever I cannot restore.

As it stands I have removed the engine and box from TJ and the shell will be stripped ready for a dip. 

I believe a dip will be the best approach but I am willing to listen to any arguments for and against and to be swayed to any other idea of bringing the shell back to life.

Enzo