• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dt_

205 carburettor identification

dt_

Hey guys, long time no post.  I'm back in possession of a lovely 205 1.6 auto (J plate, carb fed) and am having running issues with it whereby it wont rev over about 2000-2500 rpm and will stall as soon as I try to set off.  I'm changing the plug leads and plugs today anyway as they are ancient, but looking through the haynes manual, none of the pictures look anything like the carb that's fitted to mine.  Here are some pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5opfjsj4tjutyn4/IMG_20180903_124216.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmlwd3hnri16gav/IMG_20180903_124224.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xq5hsn705r21zlg/IMG_20180903_124233.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt285dk81ks5397/IMG_20180903_124430.jpg?dl=0

(last pic has some kind of markings on it if you can make it out)

A bit more info:  the problem manifested itself the other day as I was accelerating up quite a steep hill at speed, luckily made it to the top of the hill, and had to limp home at about 20-25 mph which is the car's max speed at the moment.  If the plug leads don't cure it, I'd like to be able to research the carb and find out how to strip it, clean it etc but can't until I know which one it is.

Any advice on either the running issue or the make/model of carb would be great.  Absolutely loving the car so far, missed my last 205.  Thanks

dt_

Well, the running issue was cleared up with a set of new plug leads for £15, so can't complain.  Still intrigued by the carb though

Ozymandis

Nah then!

Thats a twin choke Solex, some variety of 32/34? .

Give us more detail,engine type code, VIN etc I`ll see what service box says for You.

dt_

Randomly the vin has been ground off the bulkhead a fair few years ago.  It's an xu5, and the number on the main plate is vf320ab1424671401.  Be interested to see what comes up.  How are you anyway, you got that red boot on yet?

Ozymandis

With that VIN, it Should be a 5 door auto . XU 51C carburettor engine .

I dont like the ground off VIN No.

http://secu-3.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Soloex_3x_carburetors.pdf

Have a look there,should be summat like. CISAC Z2 is Manual choke, CISAC Z1 is Automatic choke. It maybe a 309 Automatic unit in the car?

Never really paid any attention to the carbs on auto`s apart from to remove them and replace them with new ones.

Its on the back of a diesel with no passenger or rear seats in, that I use as a mobile shed with spare gearboxes axles etc in it.

• Thanks 1

dt_

Noone likes a ground off VIN, but the dog tag on the strut tower is untouched, which is weird. 

Ill give you some more background info on the car.  We bought it off a lovely disabled lady who can no longer drive.  She has had the car for twenty years and has had the car customised for herself due to having a stroke and losing mobility in the right side  of her body.  These customisations include an extra (!!) Throttle pedal where a clutch would be on a manual, rear parking  sensors and a manual choke relocated to the left hand side of the wheel on the dash.  She also passed it to her mechanic and said 'pimp it' which included fitting seat covers, some deep bumpers front and rear  (deeper than GTi bumpers) powerflow exhaust tip and some kind of work to the carb, which I guess in this case is replacing it for what looks like maybe a bx or 505 unit- it's the first carb on the list you gave me, thanks!  How many 205s have you got now then haha, still drive past your place regularly on the way to work

Ozymandis

Down to my last six 205`s now, have you noticed the new new garage I built at the back of my shiny new big garage?

Theres a low mileage white minter in there, it had 20k on it when I got it 2 yrs ago and the guy asked me what i was buying it for, I said " as an everyday driver" he was appalled lol

It now has 41k on it.

First trip out in it down to Nottingham the tyres turned out to be the original Michelins, and a front one went egg shaped was like a rugby ball instead of round, on the way back it shook and hammered and wrecked the wheel bearing. A record low mileage for a wheel bearing 20k.

I looked and all the tyres were 20 odd yrs out of date. Rear were same year as car ,fronts too.

Brake refresh ,cambelt and so on, then a good thrashing did it a power of good.

dt_

Only the six left then lol. Just been looking over the last few days and it looks to be a solex 32/34 z2 as fitted to the ax gt and 205 gt/xs (Tu engine).  Not sure why anyone would fit this carb unless maybe for power reasons, does this mean that when set up correctly the engine will be able to give 84hp like the other vehicles fitted with this carb?  Also, the choke and throttle cables are very rough in operation, am I right in thinking that since this carb is generally fitted to the rear of the engine bay, the cables will need to be custom made for its current position?

Ozymandis

I dont know I`ve never done anything with any of those models.

I would think there was a version of the xu with that carb or a similar, hence the manifold ?

Any ID stamped/ engraved/on a tag maybe ?

dt_

There's only those numbers cast onto the body that I can see, I know it's definitely not the right carb as the throttle linkage area (with extra kick down linkage, making it wider) causes part of the choke cam to foul on it making the cable rough.  Am going to try and get a long universal choke cable, file part of the choke cam down, and it should be ok, I'll let you know if I come across any more info